Aetna Commissions

That is horrible. Why not focus on the GI health market instead and earn 20% every year?! That is what we do.

Sounds like she was rated and commission was paid on the base premium only. That's how it works in CA. I assume it works the same in IL.

Rick

Rick, I finally got over my disgust at the puny commission and logged back into Aetna Producer World to more closely examine the commission statement.

You are 100% spot-on sir. Her premium is $500 per month, but $258 is a rate-up. I was paid a paltry 15% ($38) on the non-rated portion.

What really gets me is that this lady has a 100% rate-up and also 2 exclusion riders on the conditions that she was rated-up for! (Hypertension / Cholesterol)

I'm glad that AETNA accepted her after being turned down by 2 other carriers, but a rating and riders??? I normally see one or the other, but never a rating AND riders related to the same conditions. Have you seen any other company do this, Rick?

-Allen

I'm glad that AETNA accepted her after being turned down by 2 other carriers, but a rating and riders??? I normally see one or the other, but never a rating AND riders related to the same conditions. Have you seen any other company do this, Rick?

-Allen

I write a lot of Aetna in PA... Never had them issue a rider.

I write a lot of Aetna in PA... Never had them issue a rider.

She faxed me the 3 page "Welcome to Aetna" letter. Page two listed her pre-existing conditions and said: (paraphrasing) " To keep these conditions from being considered as Pre-Existing by Aetna, you should provide proof of creditable coverage, if that coverage was in effect during the last 63 days."

Well, this lady hasn't had health insurance since her American Republic individual plan lapsed in April.

So Mike, you're saying that this is something your customers don't get in PA? This was my first and only Aetna client, so I've had zero experience with the company until now. It is strange that she didn't have to sign riders, even though page 2 sounded like her Pre-X conditions were being ridered.

-Allen

Allen, so how do you compare Aetna with UH? Will you use them again or just for certain clients with issues?
Sue

She faxed me the 3 page "Welcome to Aetna" letter. Page two listed her pre-existing conditions and said: (paraphrasing) " To keep these conditions from being considered as Pre-Existing by Aetna, you should provide proof of creditable coverage, if that coverage was in effect during the last 63 days."

Well, this lady hasn't had health insurance since her American Republic individual plan lapsed in April.

So Mike, you're saying that this is something your customers don't get in PA? This was my first and only Aetna client, so I've had zero experience with the company until now. It is strange that she didn't have to sign riders, even though page 2 sounded like her Pre-X conditions were being ridered.

-Allen

Back