Aetna Grandfathered Policies

Aetna hasn't said anything to us in Ohio, (just sent them 3 cases this week) they are my go to pre-existing company. Funny thing is they started offering the state health pool GI product. Medical Mutual used to be the one who was the goto GI carrier.

Talked to someone from a company that sounds like Rumana, they are in talks to offer a medicaid product here in Ohio. They are goto for Dental here in the state and they are aggressive for MA.

I received a letter from Aetna regarding their AARP Essential Premier individual offering dated April 26. They state that they are withdrawing that offering effective 9/1/2013. They further state that if a client is in a grandfathered plan (effective prior to 3/23/2010), they do not have to change plans. They go on to state that anyone enrolled in a grandfathered plan (effective 3/24/2010 - 12/31/2013) will need to be transitioned to a new plan with an effective date of 1/1/2014.

This communication was directed at this product offering that is in partnership with AARP, but I'd imagine that policy would also apply to other individual offerings by Aetna. So my question to this group is that I have to "transition" all of my individual policies to something new at the end of the year? Jeez - not sure how that will work since the enrollment period coincides with Medicare AEP (my busiest time of the year). How will you all handle this?

It's sad to see the org that backed the law will not be participating in the exchanges after all :skeptical:

In those states where Aetna Advantage is sold, AARP policies will be converted to a similar plan.

In those states where Aetna advantage is NOT sold, the AARP policy will be terminated on 12/31 and they must buy a new carrier

The only AARP policies that will survive are grandfathered policies, and there are not many of them, as they started selling in early 09'

Aetna advantage plans will not be affected unless they are pulling out of the state.

So, you're saying that the Aetna Advantage plans with effective dates after 3/24/2010 will NOT have to convert to something else? I'm trying to get a feel for how many people I'd have to "transition" for all of my carriers. So far no one has given any concrete guidance. My guess is that people will be contacted directly by carriers & then people may just sign up to "change" plans & cut the agent out of the process. . . .any thoughts?

100% of people I have left on Aetna that are pre obamacare signing are on there for 1 reason... health conditions and they are paying an arm and a leg... the xchange will be cheaper so I will move them all to obamacare

also, about 90% of all Aetna clients are stuck due to medical conditions and will be moving... Aetna aint cheap in texas

Last edited:
Back