Aetna Indiv Plans at Costco

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
Wow. A friend of mine just purchased a Silver from her local costco. I'm not sure if they sell any ON Exchange though. I think that it's only OFF. I wish that I could have got one of these gigs.

1-28-2014
Here's the "news" article announcing Aetna's partnership with Costco.
Link: Aetna Inc. : Aetna Offers Individual Plans to Costco Members in California | 4-Traders

However, if you run a quote at the link http://www.CostcoPersonalhealth.com and compare it with the same plan available at Health Insurance, Dental Insurance & Other Insurance Plans | Aetna in Illinois Zip 60194, you'll find that contrary to what the Aetna-Costco partnership announcement states, the Costco-Aetna plan costs MORE and has 70/30% coinsurance, instead the 80/20% coinsurance available to those who buy directly from AETNA. Also, only 3 Aetna plans are available from Costco. Aetna.com has 6 plans available, which include Catastrophic and Gold levels.

Here's a (badly formatted) copy/paste of each summary quote..

IL Aetna Classic 3500 PD Silver Plan Total Premium: $697.00* | Medical Premium: $697.00* Deductible Individual/Family (Applies towards Out-of-Pocket Maximum) Member Coinsurance Out of Pocket Max Indiv/Family (Max you'll pay for Covered Services) In Network $3,500/$7,000 20% $6,350/$12,700 Out of Network

IL Costco Classic 3500 PD Silver Plan Total Premium: $719.00* | Medical Premium: $719.00* Deductible Individual/Family (Applies towards Out-of-Pocket Maximum) Member Coinsurance Out of Pocket Max Indiv/Family (Max you'll pay for Covered Services) In Network $3,500/$7,000 30% $6,350/$12,700 //// Out of Network $7,000/$14,000 50% $12,700/$25,400

Sidebar: Blue Cross Blue Shield's Silver plan with the same benefit configuration is $386 in Chicago and $531 in the Chicago suburbs.

-ac

Sidebar: Blue Cross Blue Shield's Silver plan with the same benefit configuration is $386 in Chicago and $531 in the Chicago suburbs.
-ac

Interesting, I'm guessing Costco didn't get where they are today by accepting chump change commissions off the products they sell, Aetna must have stepped up.

The Costco - health insurance connection has existed for some time but only in a few states. I believe Sam's has a similar offering.

Costco-Aetna is not new. I lost a few cases to them pre-2014. Benefits were less as AC pointed out, premiums about the same as available direct or through a broker. The difference was underwriting. Fewer questions, shorter lookback. They wrote a couple of folks that could not qualify with any carrier in the market.

Interesting how people just ASSUME you get a better deal because a product is available through a discounter.

I wonder which cash-register is going to help them when they have a claim?

images

Back