Aflac and Allstate, can I sell for both of them?

John Elliot

Hello all! Hope everyone out there is safe and sound.

I have an opportunity to appoint myself through Aflac and at the same time an offer to become agent at Allstate for a local office.

Can I sell both or does Allstate provide supplemental?

Hi, John
Aflac is not captive--i am an agent with them for over 40 years. So as far as Aflac is concerned you can also write for Allstate--unless Allstate is captive.
Hope this helps you!
Tama

Hello all! Hope everyone out there is safe and sound.

I have an opportunity to appoint myself through Aflac and at the same time an offer to become agent at Allstate for a local office.

Can I sell both or does Allstate provide supplemental?

Allstate offers Voluntary workplace benefits. It's probably not going to be keen on you competing against them.

Just FYI, you can usually save yourself a lot of time if you Google stuff.

I would really look hard at that Allstate Appointment. They are now offering their same products to Indy's paying 15% new and renewal. As a captive, your going to earn less than 10% new and between 1 - 5% renewal, depending on life volume. Why be captive when you can be Indy? Maybe not the case yet in WA, but something to consider.

Good Luck!

If you are captive with Allstate they will make you give up any other appointments. You can get around this by brokering non Allstate business but be careful and do NOT let that brokered business into your Allstate office. If they find it you are history

If you are captive with Allstate they will make you give up any other appointments. You can get around this by brokering non Allstate business but be careful and do NOT let that brokered business into your Allstate office. If they find it you are history
If Allstate is like other captive companies they check the DOI to see what COAs and agent has.. If they find you one for another company, they can terminate you. Probably for cause in accordance with contract which means you loose all your renewals.

If Allstate is like other captive companies they check the DOI to see what COAs and agent has.. If they find you one for another company, they can terminate you. Probably for cause in accordance with contract which means you loose all your renewals.

He wouldn't get renewals. He'd be appointed under the Allstate agent. He'd get salary + Comm + Benes.

However, why would you hurt your reputation by knowingly appointing yourself with a competitor (for certain products) when your captive already with Allstate?

Ultimately, you are your competitive advantage on this industry. The products you offer can usually be purchased from most agents and online. So why would you damage the only thing that is unique about you?

Want to sell Allstate? great. Understand you're captive and be captive.

Want to sell Independently? Great. Don't sneak around and collect a check from a captive agent and sell competitors behind their back.

Last edited:
Back