Alex Azar - New HHS Secretary

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
Monday January 29, 2018

""President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence swore in new Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar Monday morning at the White House. His nomination was approved by the Senate last week in a 55-43 vote.

"[Alex] brings an invaluable private sector experience to complement his years of public service," President Trump said. "As our new secretary, Alex will continue to implement the administrative and regulatory changes needed to ensure that our citizens get the affordable high-quality care that they deserve.""

Source w/vid clip: Katie Pavlich - America Officially Has a New HHS Secretary

Let's hope one of his first actions is to enable Short Term Health plans to return to 12 month duration. Hopefully, that is all ready to go. I don't think a "rule" is required for something so simple.

FYI.. New HHS Secretary ALEX AZAR explained the new Short Term Health rule, and what STM could look like, after the rule is finalized. He was on "The Ingraham Angle" (FoxNews) Tuesday evening, in a 6 minute interview.

STM is not real long term insurance and not a replacement for major med if you need coverage for more than the longest term allowed.

He's glossing over the shortcomings and hyping the positives.

Junkman: I thought the interview with Azar was rather anticlimactic and void of hype. Just my opinion.

Junkman: I thought the interview with Azar was rather anticlimactic and void of hype. Just my opinion.

I'm not going to watch again but he said something like "if a person wants less expensive plan or the states want to improvise they should be able to". The problem I have with it is consumers aren't educated, barely understand deductibles and out-of-pocket limits and have no idea about the important understanding of what isn't an allowed charge is. Some, perhaps many of the plans carriers come up with are only good for carriers. STM has unacceptable limits unless you are sure that there is a time when you can bail to MM and can match the end of the STM with the start of MM. That's one reason why STM was frequently written on those in between jobs. It was never designed as a complete replacement. Many of the critical illness policies for example boarder on outright thievery.

We currently have a bail out option on 1/1 when anyone with the money to pay premium can buy coverage and things normally covered under a group plan are allowed charges. A STM may be acceptable but only for those that can pass underwriting. Having the healthy people bail contributes to the high claim per member and is the primary reason ACA rates have gone up so quickly.

this would be a big deal

S.2507 - A bill to require short-term limited duration insurance issuers to renew or continue in force such coverage at the option of the enrollees

Back