All Work and No Pay

Kitten

Hello everyone. I’m new here so I’m sorry if I’m posting myquestion in the wrong forum. This question is for all agents and agentassistants.

I’ve been working as an agent’s assistant for about 6 monthsand I’m just not making any money. I’m getting paid minimum wage and I’msupposed to be getting 50% on commissions but I’m not.

Whenever someone calls for a car or home quote, I take theirinfo, I convince them to let me quote both car and home (not just one or theother), I deal with the underwriting in case they have claims to give them thebest rate that I could, I call them with the prices, email and mail out thequotes, and follow up until they get the policy. They never even speak to theagent. Yet, she takes 100% of the commission and I get nothing. I asked a fewtimes about that and her answer is always “it’s my marketing that brought themin”, when in truth, the corporation did the marketing and she only got theclient because she’s the closest agent.

Then she told me that if I can get people from her existingbook of business to get additional policies that I will get 50% of thecommission, but once again, I got nothing.

Ultimately, I learned that the only way I will getcommission is if I sell it to my family and friends. I don’t feel very motivated to sell policiesfor her when I don’t get anything out of it and then this company’s premiumsare double what other companies offer. I feel like I do all the work when she’snever even in the office, and when she is, she spends all her time on her phonetalking to her family and friends while I do all the work.

My question is; is that how all agents treat their assistants?Or should I be on the lookout for another job?

I pay my licensed staff commission on new sales+ salary. You must get commission other wise just go to another agent office. Who do work for Allstate, state farm or farmers?

I think it might be a good idea to talk to the agent and ask what you want in term of commission. Usually agent can pay flat fee Like $15 per auto or home policy or a percentage of the new business premiums.

For example if you sell an auto policy at $2000 a year premium let say they pay you %3 commission then you would make $60.

If your happy there just ask the agent to add commission to your pay now that you are licensed and ready to close more deals.

These deals can vary a lot.

Was you arrangement with the agent 50% of business you generate or on anything you sell? I think the agent is well within reason to say that if the phone rings and you answer it, then that should not count as business you generated and that you are simply doing your job. Your response to that is to stay, leave, or talk to her about it, but I think she's being perfectly fair in not paying you a commission on business you didn't generate. Do I think your pay structure is attractive enough to warrant you sticking around? I don't know the answer to that. It also depends on what's available. Frankly, an agent assistant or CSR is relatively easy to come by and generally speaking the job doesn't pay well. If you start bringing in business and are cold calling for new clients or something like that then we have a different situation.

Have you considered working for other agencies? Maybe it make sense to have a conversation with your boss, stick around another six months, and if that doesn't pan out then start looking for new agencies with having a year of experience under your belt.

If your new to the business stick it out for a while then quit and she just trained her competior. If your not new quit today and go sell something. =)

I would tell her I deserve something extra for these even if you generated them. Tell her "I am a licensed agent and I deserve more money than McDonalds would pay me. If you can't work with me then I can't work here."

I think 25% would be fair on business you didn't generate
or she should pay you @ least $10 hour

I don't think you deserve 1/2 of that business

I'm assuming you are licensed. If your doing all of that why be an assistant? If your being paid minimum wage and there's no light at the end of the tunnel, it's basically a business decision. In the old days a person's word or a handshake was basically binding, today it's what's on paper.

As I always tell someone who is not happy with their current position, it doesn't cost you anything to see what is available in the market. I don't know of too many people that would want to stick out a sales job at minimum wage. Sounds like you know what you are doing and your "mentor" doesn't seem to be adding to your professional training. Even if you feel like you need a little more experience, start looking anyway. It may take you a while and you'll keep getting experience while looking, or, you will find someone who is willing to help further your growth and pay you more based on your production, regardless of where the leads come from.

You're getting hosed. This is not a place to have a career at. You are being taken advantage of. Seen it before, it is easier to replace you than pay you for this agent.

I know agents that do this, they have alot of turnover as people figure it out. She has no intention of doing more than the minimum for you. wise up and leave.

50% commission is completely fair on new business, your agent gets 100% on every renewal after that; its obvious your pay structure isn't motivating you to be more aggressive towards closing "her" leads

Get out of there, if you aren't afraid to sell and follow up on prospects, you will find another job

Back