Anyone know how to become an actual insurance company??

Most of today's insuretechs started out as MGAs before acquiring a carrier. But even then most of the risk is ceded out to reinsurers. And they still act as MGAs by placing risks they don't want to take on with other carriers for a commision. And I don't know if it can be done today but how Warren Buffet acquired some of his first carriers was by scanning the pink sheets. In those days you couldn't just call your broker and buy shares,because pink sheet stocks were so thinly traded. Buffet had to track down the shareholders one by one and talk them into selling. That's how he eventually gained a major stake and got a seat on the board, and the rest of the story is history!

Last edited:
Kinda like the horse business. I learned how to have a little money in the horse business. Start with a lot!:1cute:
I'd challenge you to a horse race but I already know you'd win.

The race would be over by the time I unhooked the plow.

Call your state's insurance department. They regulate insurance companies. They will tell you chapter and verse of what it takes to start an insurance company and get licensed by the state.

And, yes, you will need lots of money.
Good answer.

Back in the 70's and 80's, investors would buy a company shell. Small companies that had gone out of business for some reason. And I do mean small.

Doing it this way they avoided the usual start up costs.

AFLAC started out by selling stock. Smaller than spit when they first started.

Back