Auto Flood Damage and Totaling

Hi,
I am so happy to finally find a forum where hopefully people can shed light on my situation.

My 6 month old car was recently involved in a flooding incident; basically left it in a paid parking lot near PHL airport and the airport got flooded due to Irene. Water went at least to mid tire, and got into the car (the floorboards were stinking wet). When I got back from my trip two days later, the car ran fine. Nothing seems wrong except for the water.

Having full comprehensive insurance, I made a claim. I took it yesterday to one of Geico's express service centers. I did not get a call back as promised, instead I got the estimate of the damage, and looks like they are about to start fixing it. Their fix? Clean and detail.

I am really concerned because:
a. There are plenty of computers down there, and even an air ventilation where water has gone in. I am very worried that while the car is now showing any trouble now, one day on the turnpike it will stall on me or the transmission will fail. It really scares me. They claim they guarantee repairs for life, but how will I prove that transmission or engine failure later down the line would not be related to flood? I heard it may take up to 3 months before the effects of the flood start showing up.

b. Even if indeed the car is fine, I think it will be branded as water damaged, instantly dropping its value by 50% - 75%. So yes, Geico would give me a running car, but they have just cost me close to $10K in lost value.

Anyone has any advice on how I can proceed with this? I heard there is something called diminished value, but it seems to be geared towards crashes not flood incidents. Can I take it to the dealer and have them inspect it after Geico are done with it? Please help!

Most insurance company have the above the dash rule. If the water goes above the dash then the vehicle will automatically be deemed a total loss.

From what it sounds Geico must have been operating under a Catastrophe unit to deem that repairable. Any regular claims department would have totaled the vehicle. You can not request for diminished value payment since this is a comprehensive claim.

My advice to you:
1. Kick and scream at Geico (trust me it works) if you want your vehicle totaled.
2. Look for Mold. That will deem it a total loss.

If the car wasn't cleaned righ away. the smell will never leave. Pull up a couple of mold stories on the net. They will scare you. The man with no face. A certain mold got in his sinus', they had to cut out most of his face. forehead down. Yes this was an extreme case. But that is what insurance is all about.

Back