Auto Insurance - Teen Member of Household Divorce

adcebalo98

I am a divorced parent of two teen drivers.

I have my own car. My son is the primary driver of my second vehicle.

My daughter is the primary driver of my former wife’s second vehicle.

I am looking to update my insurance and I thought I would just need to insure my son on my auto policy.

However, I was told by the insurance broker that she still needs to be on my policy even though she is covered under my former wife’s policy because her drivers license lists my home address. Therefore she would be considered a “member of my household” in the event of an accident and coverage would be denied should she have an accident in one of my vehicles if she is not on my policy.

is this correct?

Yes.

In most personal auto insurance policies, "household members" are individuals who reside at the same address as the policyholder. If your daughter's driver's license lists your home address as her primary residence, she may be considered a member of your household by the insurance company, even if she primarily drives your former wife's vehicle and is covered under her policy.

Because she is considered a member of your household, there might be a requirement to list her on your insurance policy, even if she is not the primary driver of any of your vehicles. This is because insurance companies typically want to know all household members who may have access to your vehicles, as they could potentially drive them at some point. By listing her on your policy, the insurance company can assess the risk properly and determine appropriate coverage.

If you fail to list your daughter on your policy, there might be potential consequences if she gets involved in an accident while driving one of your vehicles. Coverage could be denied, as the insurance company might argue that you failed to disclose a household member who drives your cars, which could be seen as a misrepresentation or omission of information.

To avoid any issues or coverage disputes, I suggest that you comply with your insurance broker's recommendation and list all household members who may drive your vehicles on your policy.

Yes.

In most personal auto insurance policies, "household members" are individuals who reside at the same address as the policyholder. If your daughter's driver's license lists your home address as her primary residence, she may be considered a member of your household by the insurance company, even if she primarily drives your former wife's vehicle and is covered under her policy.

Because she is considered a member of your household, there might be a requirement to list her on your insurance policy, even if she is not the primary driver of any of your vehicles. This is because insurance companies typically want to know all household members who may have access to your vehicles, as they could potentially drive them at some point. By listing her on your policy, the insurance company can assess the risk properly and determine appropriate coverage.

If you fail to list your daughter on your policy, there might be potential consequences if she gets involved in an accident while driving one of your vehicles. Coverage could be denied, as the insurance company might argue that you failed to disclose a household member who drives your cars, which could be seen as a misrepresentation or omission of information.

To avoid any issues or coverage disputes, I suggest that you comply with your insurance broker's recommendation and list all household members who may drive your vehicles on your policy.

AI3x Lee.

Should the insurance company charge for her coverage at a lower rate, all other things being equal, if she is not a primary driver on any of my vehicles?

However, I was told by the insurance broker that she still needs to be on my policy even though she is covered under my former wife’s policy because her drivers license lists my home address. Therefore she would be considered a “member of my household” in the event of an accident and coverage would be denied should she have an accident in one of my vehicles if she is not on my policy.

is this correct?

Yes.

If your daughter lives with her mother, the simple solution is to have her go to the DMV and file a change of address on her license, making sure to get a printed confirmation of the change that you can give to your insurance to get her off your policy.

Should the insurance company charge for her coverage at a lower rate, all other things being equal, if she is not a primary driver on any of my vehicles?

Depends on how many vehicles you have.

If you have two vehicles, your son is rated on one of them as a primary operator, and your daughter is rated on yours as an occasional operator. Taking her off the policy will reduce your rates on your car.

If you have three vehicles, your son is rated on one as a primary operator and your daughter is rated on one as a primary operator. When she is off the policy the third car rates are reduced to your rates.

Last edited:
Back