Autonomous Transportation on the Horizon

Good point. I can definitely see the owner of a driverless car still needing coverage - whether it is an individual or the owner of a fleet of ride-hailed vehicles. Doubt the cars will automatically drive themselves in for service whenever it's needed without the owner's "permission" - not to mention reluctance to pay for recommended (or even required) new parts (i.e.: tires, brake pads).

So many issues still - driverless car with worn tires slides on snowy road, or hydroplanes on wet road, hits something. If owner would have maintained the vehicle to prohibit it operating with balding tires...etc.

Premiums for owners of autonomous vehicles would still likely be a fraction of current rate, but insurers can "double-dip" by having this along with the manufacturer having to maintain liability coverage.

Interesting times coming in the auto insurance market.

Curiously, what experience do you have w/ insurance distribution? Sales? Don't think so. Carrier rep...ehh don't think so? Just curious what background you come from...or do you just push content to drum up conversation here w/ no personal stake in any of it?

Curiously, what experience do you have w/ insurance distribution? Sales? Don't think so. Carrier rep...ehh don't think so? Just curious what background you come from...or do you just push content to drum up conversation here w/ no personal stake in any of it?

I'm a journalist who has been covering the insurance industry for about the past 12 years; over the years serving as Editor of Senior Market Advisor, Life Insurance Selling, LifeHealthPro/NU Life & Health, Insurance Business America (briefly) and here at Insurance Forums. Yes, I like to create or share content that might help and be of interest to insurance producers, and I want the independent distribution channel to thrive so I can hopefully stay employed in a job I enjoy. :yes:

I'm a journalist who has been covering the insurance industry for about the past 12 years; over the years serving as Editor of Senior Market Advisor, Life Insurance Selling, LifeHealthPro/NU Life & Health, Insurance Business America (briefly) and here at Insurance Forums. Yes, I like to create or share content that might help and be of interest to insurance producers, and I want the independent distribution channel to thrive so I can hopefully stay employed in a job I enjoy. :yes:

Have you ever thought about getting into distribution?

Yes, over the years I considered getting licensed a time or two – especially after interviewing so many highly successful producers in different niches who sometimes had a way of making it sound easy. Even got recruited once or twice, and during my time at Life Insurance Selling was about set to start working toward a CLU when media company issues got in the way. But I really like – and think my own skill set is better suited for – writing about and covering the industry and trying to help producers be better at their jobs by sharing (hopefully) useful information, best practices from successful producers and market intelligence. And, I realize how hard it is to build a good career as a producer and that most wash out long before they get there. Got tons of respect for those who stuck with it, paid their dues and now make a very comfortable living.

Back