BCBS Interplan Transfers

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
Since the subject has been discussed in the other thread, I wonder if any agents here would be willing to query their home state (not CA) Blue plan and find out the details on how someone moving to their state enrolls in the interplan transfer plan with your Blue.

For those who may not have followed the thread, each state's Blue carrier(s) is/are required to provide a GI health plan called an interplan transfer to any Blue member in another state moving into your state. I have two sources at this time which indicate this is a mandatory plan that must be offered by all BCBS Association members (of which there are 39). I'd love to get a summary list of states programs for interplan transfer and believe it would make a great reference for agents.

CALIFORNIA

Incoming
Both Blues offer enrollment in interplan transfer upon reciept of request for enrollment from prior Blue carrier. Both Blues will mail the new resident information and application for interplan transfer enrollment. Interplan transfer is GI product

Outgoing
Both Blues will direct wire or call Blue carrier in new state requesting interplan transfer paperwork be mailed for GI enrollment with Blue in new state.

Admittedly I have not delved into this the way you have, mostly because there is no comp paid to agents in GA for conversion or assigment plans under our system. The little bit I did read about Interplan with regard to BCBSGA addressed only group plans & Medicare.

Maybe there is such an agreement with the GA Blues, but until I get paid for these applications I see no reason to put a lot of time into it.

I agree, with no comp there is little incentive to gain expertise on these plans.

The only reason I am interested in the details has to do with sales I make now that I do receive comm on where the client suspects they may move to another state in the future.

This is not uncommon, at least in CA, and I do get asked what will happen if the subscriber moves to another state. If it looks like a sure thing or almost a sure thing, I want to be able to recommend a plan and carrier that can provide for that person if and when they relocate.

Since I do mostly HIPAA, this is important to clients since there is no way they can pass underwriting in CA, and likely any other state.

Dave,
On my end, what I'm running into from both CT & NH Anthem is that neither new state of residence is under any obligation to accept the person on a non-underwritten basis.

I.e. if the person is uninsurable in the new state, they cannot get a plan. That's what I'm being told. Someone in house mentioned as Somarco did that its only for group that they have to offer a guaranteed issue plan.

If you are correct about interplan transfers, I'd love to dig up that information so I can re-visit this issue with them in an informed way.

To add to that, there are some differences between CT and NH.

For NH members, they can bring the plan with them if they move. In CT, they must terminate their plan if they move.

I am still looking for more information, to say it is sparse would be an understatement.

The ins and outs of these inter-plan transfers are not really disclosed anywhere. BCBSA sends you to your local Blue for the information. If I dig up any more links I will post them here.

Some sources say it's mandated, some Blues say it's not. I'd love to find one good authorative answer on these and how they are supposed to work.

Back