Benefits for an association

Been out of the stop loss biz for about 8 years. Don't know who the players are any more.

Lloyds used to write down to 5 lives. I had quite a few cases (mostly in FL) in the 25 - 100 life category.

The numbers work at 100 lives and up if you set it up right.

Safeco, Sun, Great West offered at 50 lives. General American at 25. And there were smaller companies with solid reinsurance behind them (D&H, M&G, Hanover) who were in the business. Zurich was in the market for a while and may still be.

Companion was a minor player but I understand they are still in the business.

I worked the xs business for close to 15 years via an MGU. We worked with all the top intermediaries and reinsurers. Even had our own captive ceding company to take a portion of the risk. The only MGU that was willing to go on the hook which gave us a vested interest in the business we wrote and a leg up on our competitors (of which there were over 300 before it collapsed).

The xs business was a niche market until it got crowded. A lot of money was made then. Fewer players now and a lot of the reinsurers have short memories and don't want to get back in the water.

It is a different world now. Not necessarily better, just different.

Covenant was a relatively small benefits TPA. Their gig was mostly WC. Odd folks over there. Never cared much for them.

Been a few days since I checked the board. Thanks to everyone for their input. I pretty much told my buddy it wasn't going to work. Of course no rep will put it in writing, so I'm stuck just saying..."it won't work"

Back