Best Health Plan Resource?

pharmacist

Hello,

I am not an agent. I hope you don't mind if I ask a question.

I am a pharmacist looking for a reliable resource, publication, organization, etc. that could possibly provide me with the following information:

1) A directory of all of the currently operating Health Plans in the U.S., ideally broken down into the geographic areas that they cover (counties or zip codes, etc).

2) An updated resource that would indicate approximately the number of members ("lives") currently enrolled in each health plan.

I am specifically looking for health plans that offer a prescription benefit, but I can determine that on my own I suppose.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions for me? I would sincerely appreciate any advice or direction you may be able to provide.

Sincerely,
Jason

By "health plan" I am assuming you mean the insurance provider, not the employer. For example, you are asking for Blue Cross of CA, with XXXXX number of members, and not Joe's Mfging company, with 125 lives.

If that is the case, I always go to each state's Department of Insurance website and find the data. Each state is somewhat different in terms of where on the site and what you ask for, but I tend to use "admitted carrier" data. I am sure that you can purchase this data somewhere, but I have found the state websites to be relatively easy to use, more reliable and free.

leevena,

Yes, that is what I mean (the Blue Cross example).

I will poke around some of the state insurance bureau sites to see if they have the info I need. Thank you kindly!

Jason

Back