Best software for running payroll

We also run benefits for our employees through Gusto.

Booooooooo (lol)

As someone who champions independent agents, I would have expected you to use an experienced independent group benefits agent.

I've run across a lot of groups who's benefits are with the payroll company... and they are usually not nearly as good as they could be.

And any pitch about things being more "streamlined" because it's under one roof is mostly BS. They can pick up the phone and talk to a different company just as easy as they can pick up the phone and talk to a different department within the same building. They are not all in the same room and it certainly not the same person or even computer system doing everything.

It's hard to be a master of all trades. And even though they often have experts working within those departments. The big decisions about the carriers they represent and the quality of product, is often made at the top level and not the department level among the experts. It might not be true for Gusto, but that is my experience after working in group benefits for a decade.

Last edited:
Booooooooo (lol)

As someone who champions independent agents, I would have expected you to use an experienced independent group benefits agent.

I've run across a lot of groups who's benefits are with the payroll company... and they are usually not nearly as good as they could be.

And any pitch about things being more "streamlined" because it's under one roof is mostly BS. They can pick up the phone and talk to a different company just as easy as they can pick up the phone and talk to a different department within the same building. They are not all in the same room and it certainly not the same person or even computer system doing everything.

It's hard to be a master of all trades. And even though they often have experts working within those departments. The big decisions about the carriers they represent and the quality of product, is often made at the top level and not the department level among the experts. It might not be true for Gusto, but that is my experience after working in group benefits for a decade.

Our staff works remotely and we have employees in 7 states. The only carrier that would offer coverage across all our states was UHC. An independent agent would have needed to be licensed in all 7 states, right?

Regardless, using Gusto was worth it for the convenience factor since everyone works remotely.. All our employees had to do was login to their Gusto account which they already had...then elect/decline benefits with a few clicks. On top of that - all their pay stubs, benefits information etc is in one portal - easily accessible to them and they can make any changes within there. When you have employees outside your office, process and convenience is important.

Our staff works remotely and we have employees in 7 states. The only carrier that would offer coverage across all our states was UHC. An independent agent would have needed to be licensed in all 7 states, right?

Regardless, using Gusto was worth it for the convenience factor since everyone works remotely.. All our employees had to do was login to their Gusto account which they already had...then elect/decline benefits with a few clicks. On top of that - all their pay stubs, benefits information etc is in one portal - easily accessible to them and they can make any changes within there. When you have employees outside your office, process and convenience is important.

Hopefully, you realize Im mostly just giving you a hard time.

But since you brought it up, the agent would only need to be licensed in the Policy SITUS state, which would be the state of registration for the business entity.

I have SC groups that have branches all over the US in states Im not licensed in. Its a SC insurance contract and a SC registered business. So all you need is an SC license. (SITUS laws are basically the same for all states though)

It could be possible... but I would be extremely surprised if BCBS would not cover you. Their network covers all 50 states and is the largest in the US. I know there is a self-funded option or two that would cover you.

Convenience is certainly important. But that sometimes is when the limited selection comes into play even more with the bundled payroll/benefits solutions. They have to stick with benefits providers whose systems will integrate with theirs. And the truth is that an employee rarely logs in to make changes to benefit info... there is very little to change or do when its not open enrollment. And all major benefits providers have online logins/portals. Many businesses will create a HR page with links to the various vendors portals.

But I do understand the convenience of having it all in 1 login. There are actually some payroll solutions that will integrate in that way with most any benefits provider you decide to use. Paylocity is one of those.

But again, I was mostly just giving you a hard time. If its providing value and paying claims, then its a good plan. A business owner can only spend so much time figuring out benefits/payroll/401k/taxes/etc. It could easily take up all of your time if you let it!

Oh I know. Just really happy with Gusto so far.

Also, with BCBS we had trouble meeting participation requirements in any of our 7 states to establish a state to base our plan out of. They wouldn't take us.

I do not have time or desire to fill out and file all forms relating to withholding, do maths, and being tasked with actually remembering what to do when.
My vote for payroll software is a good local accountant

Never, and when I say it, I mean it. Never trust a soft when it comes to things like accounting and payroll. This think is the same as trying to trade stocks with robots. The thing that makes a difference between a robot and a human is the thing that there are unexpected things to happen, and a robot will never be able to manage it correctly, it will continue doing its job. If you want a good accounting management, go to a place like this one mercans.com. For a reasonable amount of money, you will get a professional assistance and a guarantee that your company will not be liquidated because of the fact that your soft has broken.

Last edited:
Back