Blown away accidentally

Neal T Fromm

Expert
I
it's a tricky subject, but I figured I might get some positive feedback from a few. I've been in the industry for over 28 years, which has taken me through technology growth that has impacted leads. No, secrete there on any level. I know numerous avenues to obtain leads; the biggest hurdle to overcome with prospecting, in general, is that having the mindset is not easy. I'll share an exciting situation that turned out to be golden. Back in the day, when we drove to appointments, there was an auto parts store business I closed with a health insurance plan. During the application, finishing promptly was challenging because of the overwhelming phone calls and walk-ins. That made me ask him for referrals. He said can you give me 40 minutes or, no problem; I interrupted, I've got clients nearby. That was the longest, 40 minutes. I rolled back in to see he had customers, and he noticed me and motioned for me to come up to the counter. He excused himself with the customer and handed me a two-page notebook paper size, ultimately with the Name of the Business, contact info, and phone number. He abruptly takes the paper from my hands and says to his customer with pen in his hand say hi to Neal; listen to what he has in the way of health Insurance, he wrote his info on the sheet of paper with the other ten or I closed the majority and a few that I didn't at that time I did months later.

I was so tickled I sent him an excellent bottle of aged scotch. 6-8 months later, I was on a call in his neighborhood. I stopped in to say hello with the thought I may as well seeing that I'm here, so I asked him for any more referrals; you bet he said you got 20 minutes. 20 minutes passed, and I entered his shop, and he motioned for me to come up. He hung up the phone. We made small talk, and he said oh yeah, you're here for some more of the number one source that never gets old in selling: referrals! He bent down behind the counter, and with a slam on the counter, the Yellow Pages business directory appeared. And said, here you go. I was in your business years ago. My dad died of complications of his heart, leaving me with a business that is still thriving, so I took it over. Every referral except the chap at the counter, whom I didn't sell, was taken out of this book! What's the moral here...one word...mindset! If I knew the list given to me consisted of names copied from a directory, They wouldnt have been dialed, and if they were, my approach tonality and enthusiasm would have been very different.

Back