Blue Shield CA = 4%

Disappointing as the presenter at their last road show indicated that they would be somewhere between 4% and 7%. We were hoping to see the 7%. Let's see what Anthem has tomorrow.

Here was the release:

New Commissions for Blue Shield Individual and Family Plans

We promised that as soon as the new commission rate was set for our Individual and Family plans, we would let you know. Today, we're ready to announce it.

The new Blue Shield of California and Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company ("Blue Shield") commission for all Individual and Family plans, which takes effect on January 1st, is as follows:
Contract year 1
Commission: 4%
Renewal year
Commission: 4%
In the coming weeks we'll post the new Blue Shield commission schedule on Producer Connection. It will include the commissions and related details, and we'll notify you when it's ready.

Since the passage of the Affordable Care Act and new regulations, such as the Medical Loss Ratio, we've been determined to protect the critical role you play. With guaranteed acceptance and millions of new customers entering the market, your role is more important than ever in helping consumers understand their options.

Together, we're preparing for a new healthcare market, and next year we make history. We look forward to doing it together! Thank you for your business and please contact your Blue Shield sales representative with questions.

Disappointing as the presenter at their last road show indicated that they would be somewhere between 4% and 7%. We were hoping to see the 7%. Let's see what Anthem has tomorrow.

Here was the release:
New Commissions for Blue Shield Individual and Family Plans

Since the passage of the Affordable Care Act and new regulations, such as the Medical Loss Ratio, we've been determined to protect the critical role you play. With guaranteed acceptance and millions of new customers entering the market, your role is more important than ever in helping consumers understand their options.

Paying a measly 4% is how Blue Shield of California PROTECTS YOUR CRITICAL ROLE as a producer, and proves that "YOUR ROLE IS NOW MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER"???

California Agents, what was the Blue Shield commission when your role was not as important as it is now? Sounds like some bass-ackwards insulting logic to me.
-ac

Paying a measly 4% is how Blue Shield of California PROTECTS YOUR CRITICAL ROLE as a producer, and proves that "YOUR ROLE IS NOW MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER"???

California Agents, what was the Blue Shield commission when your role was not as important as it is now? Sounds like some bass-ackwards insulting logic to me.
-ac

It is currently 12/5* with 15/5* if you get to 100 bodies.

* means that the renewal of 5% is based on 1st year premium.

It is currently 12/5* with 15/5* if you get to 100 bodies.

* means that the renewal of 5% is based on 1st year premium.

OK..thanks for letting me know, Dave. Our BCBS-Illinois is 10/5 with 15/5 once you hit 25 written policies in any given year. Every year, you start over at 10/5.

From new info coming to light, insurance companies should not be cutting our commissions at all for 2014, because the Feds are sending them an extra $10 billion dollars, just to provide some additional financial cushioning.

I asked a followup question this morning to Blue Shield CA regarding whether or not they will honor 12 months FYC for IFP plans sold in the last few months through 12/1/13 (the last day they will offer in 2013). As I may have mentioned, Anthem BC will pay FYC on all business sold for the full 12 months.

The answer: any plan sold 1/1/11 or after switches to 4% comp on 1/1/14 including any plans still in the FYC range. So if you sell at 12% FYC for 10/1 start, they will take it away on 1/1/14 and dump you down to 4%.

Just wanted to pass this on.

I asked a followup question this morning to Blue Shield CA regarding whether or not they will honor 12 months FYC for IFP plans sold in the last few months through 12/1/13 (the last day they will offer in 2013). As I may have mentioned, Anthem BC will pay FYC on all business sold for the full 12 months.

The answer: any plan sold 1/1/11 or after switches to 4% comp on 1/1/14 including any plans still in the FYC range. So if you sell at 12% FYC for 10/1 start, they will take it away on 1/1/14 and dump you down to 4%.

Just wanted to pass this on.

It's almost like they don't want the business.

It's almost like they don't want the business.

768278_stock-photo-businessman---on-the-nose.jpg

Back