Business Plan Example

Mark savant

I'm working on a business plan for a startup P and C independent business. Any suggestions on a good place to find example templates?

I'm working on a business plan for a startup P and C independent business. Any suggestions on a good place to find example templates?
You might try SCORE | Free Small Business Advice. A lot of free services to help start a business. Made up of mostly retired business mentors that want to give back to their local community. Search for a local office near you. They were super helpful, knowledgeable, and available. I had a great experience with Score.

Good luck! =)

I never understood the whole "have to write a business plan". IMO the only reason to write a business plan is if you need funding from an institution because they may want to see one.

I've had 3 businesses in my life. The first one, a dog daycare/cage free boarding facility, in business over 8 years and grossed over a quarter million a year, my husband and I wrote a business plan because "everyone" said we needed one.

Then life happened and our business plan projections and educated guesses started to veer off path, and by veer I mean the path just disappeared, when the economy crumbled two years into the venture.

A few years after we left the business we found the business plan on the hubs computer and opened up....boy did we have a good laugh.

I always recommend development of a well thought-out marketing plan over a full business plan. It is what will really drive your business. Contact me through my website if you want some relative thoughts.

For those who think you don't need a business plan unless looking for funding, you need to re-think this. The amount of detail in it will vary depending on the purpose, but a thought out business plan is important.

As a business owner, you need to take the time to think about what you want to do and how you are going to do it. Most just do this in their head, but it helps to put it on paper.

In the P&C world, you want to take time to think about:
- What type of policies are you going to write? Mostly personal lines? Commercial?
- What does your clientele look like? Going after preferred? Nonstandard?
- Are you going to write life? Health? as well?
- How are you going to prospect? What marketing methods are you going to use.
- What carriers do you absolutely need? What carriers do you want? What do you do in the meantime?
- Producers or just CSR's or a one man shop?
- What kind of office (if any) do I need?
- Tech stuff, such as agency management system, quoting software, etc

Of course a 1 year month by month cash projection is helpful. You'll laugh later, but it makes you think.

Growth / Production projections are very helpful. It makes you think about reality. Again, you probably won't come close to the numbers (miss by a mile or blow them out of the water), but it helps focus your efforts.

Keep in mind, business plans are living documents and are NEVER done till the business closes. They are a tool to help you focus on what you want to accomplish in your business.

You learn a lot about your own business when you write a business plan for it.

Dan

Back