CA Age 62 on S.S. Disability Wants Supplement

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello,

I spoke with a 62 year old female on social security disability that wants a medicare supplement. She says she has no current health coverage and went on medicare part B in 2006.

Her health:

*She is on s.s. disability for anxiety & depression. Takes medications for both.

*She broke her back about a year ago and is currently taking oxy contin for pain in back. She is mobile but wears a back brace.

*She has cirrhosis of the liver.

Any recommendations?

1. Is there a guarantee issue med supp for her? (probably had to have health plan that she lost to qualify?)

2. Would she make it through underwriting with anybody?

2. Would a MA work here?

Thanks!

The closest thing to a supplement would be the Anthem Blue Cross Freedom Blue PPO. Zero premium with copays.

Even if she could qualify for a supplement (which she won't) it would likely cost her more than the OOP maximum of $3,300 from the MA plan.

I love the fact she says she has no medical conditions!

Rick

Hello,

THanks for the info Rick!

I checked with AARP and premium for under 65 med supp plan F in my area was approx. $200 a month. Thats a little less than the Anthem Freedom Blue Cross PPO out of pocket per year by $800 dollars.

I guess it depends on how likely they would be to hit that max OOP?

I think she has to be under guaranteed issue for the AARP plan, which there were several stipulations, having a health plan currently or losing one, would be necessary to qualify?

She has a Part D already, so would I just write the MA part only?

Or do I check which part D is best?

Also her husband age 63 has a terminal lung condition and is on AARP med supp plan C and pays 186 a month. Am I correct to assume thats his best option as switching to the Anthem plan would have an out of pocket of $3,300 that he could reach?

Thanks!

Hello,

THanks for the info Rick!

I checked with AARP and premium for under 65 med supp plan F in my area was approx. $200 a month. Thats a little less than the Anthem Freedom Blue Cross PPO out of pocket per year by $800 dollars.

I guess it depends on how likely they would be to hit that max OOP?

I think she has to be under guaranteed issue for the AARP plan, which there were several stipulations, having a health plan currently or losing one, would be necessary to qualify?

She has a Part D already, so would I just write the MA part only?

Or do I check which part D is best?

Also her husband age 63 has a terminal lung condition and is on AARP med supp plan C and pays 186 a month. Am I correct to assume thats his best option as switching to the Anthem plan would have an out of pocket of $3,300 that he could reach?

Thanks!

Send me an email (below) with your phone number and I'll go over this with you. Just because there is a $3,300 OOP doesn't mean either of them will hit it.

The other issue is that AARP is only GI when she first gets Medicare unless something changed in the past 6 months.

Even if the $200 is correct, add another $30 or so for a Part D plan and her annual premium approaches $3,000. I still think the PPO may be a better value.

Rick

Hello,

I spoke with a 62 year old female on social security disability that wants a medicare supplement. She says she has no current health coverage and went on medicare part B in 2006.

Her health:

*She is on s.s. disability for anxiety & depression. Takes medications for both.

*She broke her back about a year ago and is currently taking oxy contin for pain in back. She is mobile but wears a back brace.

*She has cirrhosis of the liver.

Any recommendations?

1. Is there a guarantee issue med supp for her? (probably had to have health plan that she lost to qualify?)

2. Would she make it through underwriting with anybody?

2. Would a MA work here?

Thanks!

I know that under 65 disabled on Medicare can get an MA plan, but usually Med Supps are not available. CA tends to be different (they usually are), but even if allowed, most carriers either don't provide for a sales commission, or they are very low. I don't have any of my under 65s on Med Supps, they are all on MA plans, so I am not too sure about my info.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... (Frank?)

Last edited:
California is soft on the under 65 Medicare disabled. The key to this market is to capture the Medicare beneficiary when they trigger Part B (GI). Otherwise, their only option is a MA product.
Yes, we make a commish on under 65 sales. At least I do on my products.
In my area, if the applicant is at least age 50, I can sell AARP/UHC plan F for $195.61.

California is soft on the under 65 Medicare disabled. The key to this market is to capture the Medicare beneficiary when they trigger Part B (GI). Otherwise, their only option is a MA product.
Yes, we make a commish on under 65 sales. At least I do on my products.
In my area, if the applicant is at least age 50, I can sell AARP/UHC plan F for $195.61.
Come on, Anthem is the best! $5 per month for the first 12 months, then nada until age 65:biggrin:

Back