CA Capping OON Charges Under New Law

Tyler, I did read your post. Just disagree on where the onus belongs for these kind of transactions.

Doctors have no idea how your insurance works, or who is in your network, who isn't. Office staff is even worse. Much easier to placate you and say "We accept XYZ insurance" and "Today's copay is $XX" than it is to actually find out the true answer.

Happens in the Medicare world too.

"We don't accept Aetna".

OK, but this is an Aetna MEDIGAP plan?

"Yes, I know, but we don't accept Aetna"

Consumers have to own their insurance and understand it or be prepared to pay. The same issues exist today that have existed from the last 30 years but today it is a bit more complicated because you can't keep your plan or your doctor. And it changes every year.

I didn't create this mess but I had to explain it when I had individual health insurance clients. Of course most of the time it is after the fact.

For a hobby, I answer insurance questions on a public forum and see the same thing there. No one bothers to read their policy until after a claim is denied, and sometimes not then either.

And they all want to blame the system, or the carrier, or someone else. It is never their fault. Always someone else.

So forgive me if it seems like I have turned a deaf ear to complaints about how the health care system is broken. It actually worked pretty well before DC got involved. Now it is one big SNAFU.

Back