Call for comments on Lead sources

Ahh...the million dollar question...where do I get good leads.

All depends on the area. In major metros, you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting an insurance agent, either P&C or L&H.

You could buy leads on the internet and combat with the other 6 agents who have the same name, and don't forget about the call center that is just waiting with their fingers on the key pad.

So, marketing is the only way to go. If you are going solo (independent) you are up against the big guns, esp in areas where there are captive agents. Mutual of Omaha, Bankers, UA, and even Humana are all marketing supps now, and have captive agents in the metros. At least that is true in the KC metro.

Talk to your carriers, they may have a program for you to use. I know that I got a bunch of fliers from Mutual of Omaha that were full color with rates, at no charge.

A new twist?

Sometimes I think those postage reply cards belong to the stone age. You still have to call them, unless you're brave enough to knock on their door. And with the high cost of gas, it is not efficient anymore.

Did you ever wonder why those TV ads got that response call? Or that the client remembered? Because it was fresh, and you called within 1-2 days. Mail takes 2-3 weeks.

So why don't we design fliers, postcards, where they call you? The day they receive it is the day they call. With all the advertising we are getting barraged with continually, you have only an instant to elicit a response.

Or wear a T-shirt..."medical insurance for all ages...call 800-000-0000 free quotes...

Back