Can I use IEP a second time?

pogo

Expert
In mid-November, I enrolled a T65 man in Company1‘s DSNP that will be effective 1/1. Today, I found out that Company2 has now added an amenity—a nearby gym participating in their fitness program—that would have swayed his decision. Can I use the IEP a second time to enroll this man in the DSNP from Company2?

Can I use the IEP a second time .......

Caveat, NOT an agent.

No. IEP may be used once only.

In mid-November, I enrolled a T65 man in Company1‘s DSNP that will be effective 1/1. Today, I found out that Company2 has now added an amenity—a nearby gym participating in their fitness program—that would have swayed his decision. Can I use the IEP a second time to enroll this man in the DSNP from Company2?

Based on reading here, What you MAY be able to do:

Since your T65's new plan effective date is Jan 1, You may be able to use the last two days of AEP to enroll your client in Company 2's plan with a Jan 1 effective date.

What I see agents saying here for PDP's and MAPD's is if a first plan has not yet taken effect, the last plan in for the same effective date wins. That's the reason for my previous sentence.

To be safe, I think some agents would also recommend having the client call company 1 to cancel plan, but I am less sure of that.

Again, please note I am NOT an agent-That is just my opinion based on reading here.

Not anything I have experience with, but I would think you could switch him under AEP (if you hurry), or with a SEP.

"Question: What is the D-SNP enrollment process? Answer: D-SNP beneficiaries qualify for SEP and are able to enroll and/or switch plans not only during the annual enrollment period, but also at the start of every month. An individual can enroll in a D-SNP via the internet at www.medicare.gov, by phone at 1-800-MEDICARE, or by contacting his/her State D-SNP directly."

Not anything I have experience with, but I would think you could switch him under AEP (if you hurry), or with a SEP.

"Question: What is the D-SNP enrollment process? Answer: D-SNP beneficiaries qualify for SEP and are able to enroll and/or switch plans not only during the annual enrollment period, but also at the start of every month. An individual can enroll in a D-SNP via the internet at www.medicare.gov, by phone at 1-800-MEDICARE, or by contacting his/her State D-SNP directly."

I found the CMS document with this quote, but it seems to have been written prior to the updates to the SEPs for LIS/dual individuals. There is no specific SEP to enroll into a D-SNP. Generally, one would use the SEP for having LIS/Medicaid, but that's not available in Q4. The other SEP involves having a loss/gain/change in LIS/Medicaid that could be used in Q4.

So long as the first enrollment has not yet become effective, the member can still use their IEP. Upon submission of the second plan, I would have them call the first plan to cancel it prior to the effective date to be safe. The first plan will be considered an early cancelation and not a rapid disenrollment. You can confirm this by reaching out to Medicare.

Caveat, NOT an agent.

No. IEP may be used once only.

Based on reading here, What you MAY be able to do:

Since your T65's new plan effective date is Jan 1, You may be able to use the last two days of AEP to enroll your client in Company 2's plan with a Jan 1 effective date.

What I see agents saying here for PDP's and MAPD's is if a first plan has not yet taken effect, the last plan in for the same effective date wins. That's the reason for my previous sentence.

To be safe, I think some agents would also recommend having the client call company 1 to cancel plan, but I am less sure of that.

Again, please note I am NOT an agent-That is just my opinion based on reading here.

If that doesn't work, or won't work,

You can look at the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period in Jan.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - What is the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period?

Just use AEP

I found the CMS document with this quote, but it seems to have been written prior to the updates to the SEPs for LIS/dual individuals. There is no specific SEP to enroll into a D-SNP. Generally, one would use the SEP for having LIS/Medicaid, but that's not available in Q4. The other SEP involves having a loss/gain/change in LIS/Medicaid that could be used in Q4.

All of the above is not accurate.

Write the app just as you did the prior one - no need for AEP or SEP - the policy is not effective, and the election code has not been used.

So long as the first enrollment has not yet become effective, the member can still use their IEP. Upon submission of the second plan, I would have them call the first plan to cancel it prior to the effective date to be safe. The first plan will be considered an early cancelation and not a rapid disenrollment. You can confirm this by reaching out to Medicare.

Correct, mostly.

Just this part is not necessary: Upon submission of the second plan, I would have them call the first plan to cancel it prior to the effective date to be safe.

You can do that if you'd like to but it's absolutely not necessary.

All of the above is not accurate.

Write the app just as you did the prior one - no need for AEP or SEP - the policy is not effective, and the election code has not been used.

Ok, tricky. Thanks for the corrections.

Back