Can We Get Standard Rates with Cancer History?

ctg

Guru
100+ Post Club
Female, 56 y/o, non-tobacco, good health otherwise. Stage 1 Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma in 2009. Surgery in 2009 and symptom free since. Looking for $200,000 10 year term. Looks like Principal may give standard rate. Seem correct or should we figure on a flat-rate fee as well?

Just looking for insight...Thanks!

Swiss Re cancer calculator puts her at STD NT + $7.50 FE x 3 more years.

Gen Re puts her at STD NT + $8 for 2 years.

(There's actually 3 levels of StageI cancer, 1a, 1b, 1c, so I just put her in the highest tier.)

Most companies would probably FE her being only 3+ years out from end of treatment. (Chemo? Radiation? Lumpectomy? Mastectomy?) I'd do the $3.50 FE for realistic premium purposes.

Also - GO HAWKS! (Alumni here - WooT!)

You usually need to be 5+ years out before you'll be considered at standard (esp on term). You could look at a UL with a table-shave program that would get her to standard even if she'd normally be a T2 or T3 risk class. I know Linc Natl does one off the top of my head, but there are a few others that'll do it on their ULs as well. Maybe see if you can talk to an UW there and get a risk assessment done. She's gotta be willing to go for permanent coverage though for it to matter.

But on term - you'll probably be looking at a temporary flat extra as InsuranceMonkey pointed out, given the number of years it's been since treatment was completed.

Back