Florida
    Big 10-4 to that Vol.

Gulfman, May 6, 2017
  2. AZDave

AZDave Guru

State:
    Arizona
    Just a follow up on this.

Following a unanimous advisory jury verdict in April, U.S. District Court Judge Donald Nugent issued a decision last Tuesday, August 1st, stating that American Family Insurance had misclassified agents as independent contractors instead of employees. In addition, the Court denied American Family’s request that the class be decertified.

Full press release can be found here:

https://www.wexlerwallace.com/news-post/judge-rules-american-family-insurance-misclassified-agents/

AZDave, Aug 8, 2017
  3. Noble

Noble New Member

State:
    California
    I wonder what the implications will be for other companies that operate in a similar way.

Noble, Aug 18, 2017
  4. AZDave

AZDave Guru

State:
    Arizona
    The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals issued its ruling in the Jammal et al. v. American Family case on Tuesday, January 29, 2019. In a 2 to 1 decision, the panel reversed the verdict from the district court and held that American Family had properly classified its agents as independent contractors.

BIG win for the Captives! I stand corrected for my earlier eagerness....was so wishing for that Starbucks gift card.

For those interested, a copy of the decision is here.

Attached Files:

AZDave, Feb 1, 2019
  5. shawnmwalker

shawnmwalker Guru

HUGE Moment in insurance last week. Thanks for posting AZ Dave! we should all be aware of this!