Car Insurers Struggle to Track Driving Behavior. GM May Have a Better Way to Do It.- WSJ

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
A terrific article in the Wall Street Journal about technology, GM, and Auto Insurance. If you can get access to read the article, do so. There are some terrific charts, graphs, and data on here.

Car Insurers Struggle to Track Driving Behavior. GM May Have a Better Way to Do It.

Many car insurers have struggled for years to get policyholders to adopt telematics, a way to collect information about mileage and driving habits directly from the vehicle. The deal from General Motors Co. GM -0.35% to market car insurance based on data from onboard computers advances insurers’ efforts to size up risk.

Through cellphone apps and dashboard dongles, insurers have been hauling in a lot of data and offering discounts to the safest drivers, but many policyholders think the hassles outweigh the savings.

Industrywide fewer than about a tenth of policyholders are going the so-called usage-based insurance route, though the percentages are higher at insurers that have worked hard at it, according to consultants.
Analysts say the breakthrough in the GM partnership, which is with a unit of American Family Insurance, is that the hassles largely go away for policyholders. Once policyholders consent, insurers can access their data without the use of dongles or cellphone apps. The partnership follows an arrangement Ford Motor Co. F -0.34% and Lincoln Motor Co. struck with Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. that was detailed in February and involves “connected car” data.

Part of the problem lies with the BOI in some states which view a discount or refund of premium as a rebate. Part of the problem is consumers not wanting Big Brother involved in their driving life. Part 3 of the problem is dongles and cell phone systems which capture a car stop in your own driveway as a sudden stop which lowers the discount or rides in something other than your own vehicle as miles charged against your program because you forgot to place your cell in airplane mode. Cars have black boxes and I don't want mine accessed by my insurance company

I had one of those devices connected to my ODBII a few years ago. Had to drive like Granny for 3 months to get a $50 discount. There were a certain amount of mistakes allowed but if you got the equivalent of an A- or B+ you got the discount. Never again for me unless the insurance industry starts talking bigger discounts instead of chump change. Give me 50% off and I'll wear it around my neck. LOL.

They would probably debit me instead of credit if they saw my driving data.. sports car for life!!!

Saw a cool article about "smart tires" with 5g in them? Maybe could be viable for this?

Part of the problem lies with the BOI in some states which view a discount or refund of premium as a rebate. Part of the problem is consumers not wanting Big Brother involved in their driving life. Part 3 of the problem is dongles and cell phone systems which capture a car stop in your own driveway as a sudden stop which lowers the discount or rides in something other than your own vehicle as miles charged against your program because you forgot to place your cell in airplane mode. Cars have black boxes and I don't want mine accessed by my insurance company

Hehe. He said dongle.

Back