Car Rental Coverage

Hazarrd

An Uber struck my car and Uber’s carrier (Liberty Mutual) assumed 100% fault. My car is a 2023 Lexus RX350 (only a few months old at time of accident). I rented a similar class car for the 50 days my car was in the shop—an Audi Q5. Nearly identical MSRP and class. Moreover, the rental was relatively cheap at $385/week (before taxes and fees). Liberty has told me they are willing to cover the rental costs with the following limitations (quoted directly from their email to me):

“We do not owe fees or taxes for vehicles rented from an Airport location and the taxes did not qualify for reimbursement. Your state does not have regulations on providing a Premium vehicle for rental and only requires we provide a standard vehicle or rate for a standard vehicle. The rate I have approved is for a small SUV which is $47.80/day.”

I’m located in NY for what it’s worth. Any idea why they think they don’t have to reimburse me for fees and taxes? And are they within their right to use an estimate for a lower class vehicle? And are they within their right to make up whatever they think is the right amount that I should have paid for that lower class vehicle?

Appreciate any insight on this so I know what is fair to push back on.

An Uber struck my car and Uber’s carrier (Liberty Mutual) assumed 100% fault. My car is a 2023 Lexus RX350 (only a few months old at time of accident). I rented a similar class car for the 50 days my car was in the shop—an Audi Q5. Nearly identical MSRP and class. Moreover, the rental was relatively cheap at $385/week (before taxes and fees). Liberty has told me they are willing to cover the rental costs with the following limitations (quoted directly from their email to me):

“We do not owe fees or taxes for vehicles rented from an Airport location and the taxes did not qualify for reimbursement. Your state does not have regulations on providing a Premium vehicle for rental and only requires we provide a standard vehicle or rate for a standard vehicle. The rate I have approved is for a small SUV which is $47.80/day.”

I’m located in NY for what it’s worth. Any idea why they think they don’t have to reimburse me for fees and taxes? And are they within their right to use an estimate for a lower class vehicle? And are they within their right to make up whatever they think is the right amount that I should have paid for that lower class vehicle?

Depending on whether they were knowingly insuring the person for using their personal vehicle as a commercial taxi service, they could deny coverage all together under business use exclusions.

In regards to your other questions, best to ask your agent or the liberty claims rep

Cars rented from an airport location are generally more expensive for the same car if rented in a downtown lot.

Any idea why they think they don’t have to reimburse me for fees and taxes? And are they within their right to use an estimate for a lower class vehicle? And are they within their right to make up whatever they think is the right amount that I should have paid for that lower class vehicle?

The other driver's insurance company is not your insurance company and has no obligation to pay you anything unless and until a court of law says how much.

They can offer you whatever they want to offer under whatever conditions they apply. If you don't like the offer your option is to file a lawsuit against the other driver and prove, with evidence - not sayso, that you are legally entitled to the amounts you claim.

Or, you can accept the offer.

I guess it depends on how much you think it's worth pushing back on. The difference in between $385 / week and $47.80/day for 55 days is only a few hundred dollars, not sure what the taxes and fees were.

Is it fair or right? No. I've been hit by an uninsured motorist before, my insurance had to pay for my injuries and damages. I spent almost a year in physical therapy, I had a $1,000 deductible that was never returned to me. It certainly wasn't fair, but sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I'd say a few hundred dollars is probably worth putting some pushback on the adjuster, but 1 hour of an attorneys time to fight them would be more expensive than just eating the cost, and the claims adjuster knows it. People pick fights with them everyday.

Back