Carrier Responsibility To Claimaint - Auto

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have an insured who was rear ended by a Nationwide insured. The adjuster (so my insured said...) is only giving him 1 week of a rental car after he issued the check for the total loss. Obviously it seems way too short of a time frame.

What's their responsibility to claimants? Is it just really up to them?

^ I meen cmon though. Between work schedules & life...it's not always easy to pull that off.

How long do you think they should cover a rental? I get if you're starting from scratch (maybe), but if you got your car wrecked and you're looking to replace it with another one just like it, most of the hard part is over. Unless they were driving something super specific and rare I guess, but if you wreck a 2012 Camry and are replacing it with a Camry, pretty straightforward.

I can get that it's inconvenient, but I wouldn't say unreasonable.

Most carriers I see give around 10 days after they make settlement on a total loss. Make settlement meaning they agree to a pay out (not actually cut the check)

For partial loss the rental is only given for the time frame the work SHOULD be completed. Meaning if the mechanic sits on this car for an extra week or two because he already got paid or is lazy, the insured is SOL because the insurance company shouldn't have to continue to pay for the rental at that point.

Back