Cell phone carriers, who do you use?

If Centennial would get some damn phones I would be happy there. Anyone ever used an unlocked phone? I guess you can buy phones unlock them and use them with any service provider.

Use an unlocked phone? Heck, I used to unlock them. Back in the day, I used to travel overseas a lot, you had to have an unlocked GSM phone, or you would pay a fortune for phone service. In a former life, I was a Java Product manager, putting java on cell phones (yes, you can blame me, partly). We unlocked phones by the dozens. A little software, some voodoo magic, no problem at all.

Phone plans are very personal. I use T-Mobile, absolutely no problems. Other people I know have problems with it, they like Verizon. Of course, if you live in the other direction, Verizon doesn't work, but Sprint does. Oh, but go North, Sprint doesn't work, but somebody else does. It doesn't matter what others think, it's what works for you.

I use T-Mobile, with their TMobile @ Home service, which makes my cell phone calls over my wireless connection at home or in my office, and doesn't bill me for them. If I'm out somewhere else (without wireless), then I go through my plan minutes.

Dan

Check out some of the smaller carriers. Some, like Cricket, Virgin Mobile and (in our area) Metro PCS have truly unlimited calling for around $50/month.

Usually these plans are only in metro areas and the phones cannot be used outside of the local service area. If you need coverage for travel you could always pick up a prepaid phone if you do limited travel.

We use verizon. Very happy with the service. I use a Samsung something or another (the one that flips open like a clam shell and then on the side for a full keyboard). I do not travel outside the metro for business, so I am never that far from my computer.

Had Cingular prior to it going ATT and it was horrible. Sprint is big out here since their world headquarters is here, but their service stinks as well. Funny thing about sprint, if you have their service and pass their world headquarters, there is no signal.

Seems like I am the only one with Centennial. I think AT&T is going to buy them out.

DOes anyone have any negative feedback on Black Berries?

I've never heard of Centennial..... Must be a regional player.

When I turned my Blackberry on this morning, I got a little bit of positive feedback (screen lit up, it made noises as it downloaded my mail), but no, it didn't give me any negative feedback :D:D:D

As long as you have a blackberry that has a full keyboard (i.e., a button per letter, no doubles), you'll do well.

Dan

Blackberry's are in season now and are great when mixed with blueberry's, strawberry's and raspberry's. Serve them over shortcake with a bit of whipped cream.

Blackberry's are in season now and are great when mixed with blueberry's, strawberry's and raspberry's. Serve them over shortcake with a bit of whipped cream.

But just don't answer the blackberry when it rings until you get all the whipped cream off. I learned that lesson the hard way :D:D:D

I have had a number of friends and associates who have had Verizon over the past few years and spoke highly of their service and plans. Over the past few years I had been with Cingular, then acquired by AT&T, and didn't much like their service.

About 6 or 8 months ago I finally took the Verizon plunge, and haven't looked back. It is by far the best quality of phone service that I have had. Thje ability to call other folks with Verizon service and not have it count against minute usage is a nice feature too.

Several months into the service with V, I was checking my monthly usage minutes to see if I was going to stay within the minutes alotted with my plan; (1600 or so?). I was within 7 minutes of going over the alotted plan with about 3 days left in the billing cycle. I contacted cust service to change the cycle so I didn't incur overage minute charges. The CSR said, "how about if I just credit you with 100 complimentary/bonus minutes to get you through the next 3 days?" Sweet. That small extension of goodwill has cemented me as a customer probably forever.

Small things do matter and in this case I really appreciated the gesture from Verizon, especially when my experience with other carriers has been quite a bit different than that experience.

The Verizon coverage is by far the most complete especially in some of the rural areas that I frequent.

For what all that is worth.

SN

Back