Classic Car Insurance with No Primary Vehicle?

Good point! a lot of companies do that. I think they call it "stated value" coverage. but when you read the contract, the only thing really stated is actual cash value.... smoke and mirrors.
Agreed value and stated value are different coverage. With agreed value, the carrier will pay the full insured amount in a total loss. Companies like Hagerty changed agreed value to guaranteed value so people don't get confused. Stated value is the worst - the company pays ACV up to the stated value. In other words, the insured could get less than ACV. It's used to either by carrier to limit their exposure. Insured may also use a lower stated amount to save premium.

Hi Dan,
I stumbled on your posting because I am now in a similar situation. I have no primary car as I live in New York City...plenty of public transportation. I've purchased a 1973 Corvette but am having a tough time insuring it. I can't even insure it as a primary because I have no car insurance history.

What wast your ultimate solution to insuring your 59 Plymouth?

Thanks for any tips,
Ron

Rbench, this was an old thread and the responders lost track of the original question so there's no way of knowing how the original poster solved his problem.

You appear to have two issues.

1 - Not having prior insurance. Well, you can get insurance, you're just going to pay a lot for it for a year or two until you have some insurance experience.

2 - Collector car insurance without a primary vehicle. There are many collector car insurance companies. I suggest you call up each of them and explain your situation and see if one of them might write you a policy. Here's a list:

Grundy
Hagerty
American Collectors
J. C. Taylor
Condon & Skelly

There may be others.

Hey Ron,

Know this thread is a bit old but I am in the exact same situation stated in 2. I live in NYC and have no need for a primary vehicle. How did you resolve this and still get classic car insurance?

Thanks!
Jason

Resurrecting this old thread in the hopes that someone who found a solution is still getting update alerts. I'm in exactly the same spot: major metro resident who takes public transport, uber, zipcar everywhere and so doesn't have a primary car - but I'm inheriting a classic, and need to find a way to insure it.

Back