Classic Car Insurance with No Primary Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Auto Insurance Forum' started by Shortmort37, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Lion777

Lion777 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Here's types and prices on the car insurance!)
    choiceautofinancing.com/liability-car-insurance-cost-guid-insurance-coverage/

2. stex

stex Well-Known Member

Agreed value and stated value are different coverage. With agreed value, the carrier will pay the full insured amount in a total loss. Companies like Hagerty changed agreed value to guaranteed value so people don't get confused. Stated value is the worst - the company pays ACV up to the stated value. In other words, the insured could get less than ACV. It's used to either by carrier to limit their exposure. Insured may also use a lower stated amount to save premium.

3. rbench

rbench New Member

Hi Dan,
    I stumbled on your posting because I am now in a similar situation. I have no primary car as I live in New York City...plenty of public transportation. I've purchased a 1973 Corvette but am having a tough time insuring it. I can't even insure it as a primary because I have no car insurance history.

What wast your ultimate solution to insuring your 59 Plymouth?

Thanks for any tips,
    Ron

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    Rbench, this was an old thread and the responders lost track of the original question so there's no way of knowing how the original poster solved his problem.

You appear to have two issues.

1 - Not having prior insurance. Well, you can get insurance, you're just going to pay a lot for it for a year or two until you have some insurance experience.

2 - Collector car insurance without a primary vehicle. There are many collector car insurance companies. I suggest you call up each of them and explain your situation and see if one of them might write you a policy. Here's a list:

Grundy
    Hagerty
    American Collectors
    J. C. Taylor
    Condon & Skelly

There may be others.