Closing Leads for LTCi

I'm fairly new to the LTC world, and I'd like to know which carriers have a refund of premium option on their LTCi.

Seems to me the linked benefit policies are most useful in getting over the objection of "what if I don't need it." If I had a refund of premium option, that would probably do the trick, unless of course they already have funds socked away in a life policy we can just 1035 over.

That said, I just ran a comparison between a "silver bullet" plan and a standard CA Partnership plan. After 30 years, the policy premium would amount to $117,315 and would amass a pool of funds of $1,277K in benefits versus a 100K "silver bullet" which would have amassed a similar $1,040K in benefits. So you get 23% more benefits for 17% more cost. I think that's fairly insignificant in terms of the differential. I didn't do anything about use of funds, but I don't think that most people would do much with the funds, or even think that way at all, so I'm not sure if its important.

Thanks,
jb

I believe Prudential and Mutual of Omaha/United of Omaha have ROP...

One thing about the linked products--do they offer an inflation rider? Telling someone they have a $7,000 monthly benefit sounds great today but what about in 15 years when the cost has doubled to $14,000?

If their benefit is half of what they need and they have tied up all of their savings in the initial premium deposit, aren't you just compounding their problem?

I'm fairly new to the LTC world, and I'd like to know which carriers have a refund of premium option on their LTCi.

Seems to me the linked benefit policies are most useful in getting over the objection of "what if I don't need it." If I had a refund of premium option, that would probably do the trick, unless of course they already have funds socked away in a life policy we can just 1035 over.

That said, I just ran a comparison between a "silver bullet" plan and a standard CA Partnership plan. After 30 years, the policy premium would amount to $117,315 and would amass a pool of funds of $1,277K in benefits versus a 100K "silver bullet" which would have amassed a similar $1,040K in benefits. So you get 23% more benefits for 17% more cost. I think that's fairly insignificant in terms of the differential. I didn't do anything about use of funds, but I don't think that most people would do much with the funds, or even think that way at all, so I'm not sure if its important.

Thanks,
jb

There were/are a few carriers that had a rider that offered to refund a percentage (80%?) of your premium paid if you changed your mind...meaning you did not have to die to collect. Assurity offered it. I saw it elsewhere too, and it was maybe NWM or MM, but not positive. With Assurity, it was not a hugely expensive rider.

Else, just about everyone offers some form or RoP, with or without "less claims"

Genworth has two ROP options. Graded ROP refunds 100% of premium paid if insured dies before age 65 and it is graded 90 -80-70 after age 65 to age 75. Great benefit for someone 55-60 and it really is an inexpensive option. They also offer full return of premium, but it costs more. It refunds 100% of premium if you die never having used your policy. Hope this helps.
Bill

Genworth has two ROP options. Graded ROP refunds 100% of premium paid if insured dies before age 65 and it is graded 90 -80-70 after age 65 to age 75. Great benefit for someone 55-60 and it really is an inexpensive option. They also offer full return of premium, but it costs more. It refunds 100% of premium if you die never having used your policy. Hope this helps.
Bill

I wish it stopped at a 70% refund, Bill.

Unfortunately, it keeps going down by 10% every year until it hits 0% at age 75.

Back