Commercial P&C Newbie Thread

Check out the Insurance Community University: [EXTERNAL LINK] - Home
if you are looking for a longer term solution and are not afraid to spend on an annual fee.

EXTERNAL LINK] - Products & Resources | Rough Notes Advantage-Plus . This is thru the Big I in AZ, but check your State or they may also allow outside subscriptions.

Another great resource for commercial lines is IRMI. [EXTERNAL LINK] - International Risk Management Institute (IRMI)
Both of these are also terrific resources.

It takes 3-5 years before you have a basic idea of what you're doing in insurance. It also doesn't help that you joined the industry in possibly the worst insurance market in history. Also, do you have a good mentor in your office or are you 100% winging it?

Same. PM me if you'd like about this. Advice also welcome.

The Hartford offers a real good course for commercial insurance, cost about 4k. I had a young lady who worked for us who was sent by her previous employer, and she runs circles around most that I know in the field. Needless to say, she was gobbled up by the largest agency around. I personally was mentored by one of the best in the field for three years before I branched out. Pay attention to all the responses, they are spot on. The commercial side of insurance is a different animal and has to be done correct. If you have the desire to do good, you will and can be quite rewarding.

The Rough Notes Company used to publish a book titled "Coverages Applicable". This is the best one source for commercial insurance I have seen. After 50 years as an agent I still refer to this book. The number for the Rough Notes Company is 800-428-4384. The cost of the book is $78.00 and the shipping is $14.00. This is the best book to find the coverages needed for any type of business and the price is reasonable.

Good evening,

I know this is off topic. I need some help too. I am currently studying for P&C GA State exam. Which study material you took that help you to pass your exam. I am using Exam Fx seems like not helping much. Any tips on the exam and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Good evening,

I know this is off topic. I need some help too. I am currently studying for P&C GA State exam. Which study material you took that help you to pass your exam. I am using Exam Fx seems like not helping much. Any tips on the exam and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Phew, been a while since I looked at this thread. I actually took a week-long course at a local educational center. It was very informative. I guess my best advice, if you haven't already taken it, is to realize it's a test the size of the Atlantic but about an inch deep.

I really like these forums and feel like I get some really, really good content. Everyone seems willing to help with a few exceptions. I look at some of the responses to my thread here and most of them are poignant. I know there's a high amount of turnover in insurance, and there are new people in every line, but it's really nice to know there are people who are willing to help. I take constructive criticism well and it's helped me stay humble and informed.

I am learning a great deal in commercial, and by proxy, many useful everyday things. Thanks to those who had kind words and actually extended some decent advice.

Anything I or @Markthebroker says should be taken with 100% seriousness. We never joke or use any sarcasm in our responses

I know from reading the forum that you both are extremely knowledgeable. I just want to do well is all. I have no intent other than learning, helping and making a live-able wage for my family. Thanks, again!!!!

Back