Competing for Group

If the existing agent hasn't done their work, ask for a letter with their current carrier to explore options there as well. Most carriers have dozen of options that could be used. Sometimes it is a matter of changing the agent of record and making a few tweeks here and there.

A business owner wants to know their options in the most simplified way possible.

So I get a letter changing the AOR and then contact the carrier, yes?

changing the AOR and then contact the carrier

That is preferable.

To obtain the AOR you have to sell yourself. I have picked up AOR's after a few visits with the owner when it becomes apparent the current agent has not done their job, or when there is no agent in the picture. Businesses that bought direct from a carrier are usually the easiest to pick up if you know what you are doing.

Sometimes you may have to show a few quotes from competing carriers and explain that, while there is some savings, it is minimal. You can then suggest that they stay with the current carrier but opt for a more cost efficient plan. That is when you can ask for the AOR.

The last AOR I picked up was like that. I could save him money but nothing significant. He had no agent, so I asked if he would like for me to be his agent. He agreed, we changed him to a different plan and everyone was happy. It was very easy on both of us.

Is there an actual AOR form, or just something in clients words typed or written on paper?

Usually just a letter on client stationery.

Letterhead
Date
Name of company & policy number
Signed by company officer

To: Big Group Company

re: Joe's Tap Room - #16659

We are requesting that Bill Payer be named our agent of record for purposes of serving our account.

Sincerely,

Joe Boozer

Hmmm, I haven't had much luck with AOR changes. In California, carriers tend to discourage them, and the ones that do accept them, tend to require the current agent to sign off on them (like that would happen). Maybe I just haven't asked the right way.... not something I would spend my life doing anyway, but I can see the advantage in some situations.

Dan

Some carriers are easier to work with on AOR than others. I dont do a lot, but enough to make it fun.

If there is an agent, and many times there is not, they do send a letter to the agent. If there is no response in a given time frame, usually 60 days or less the assignment goes thru.

Certainly makes my life easier.

You would be surprised how many small groups, 10 and under, do not have an active agent.

Some carriers are easier to work with on AOR than others. I dont do a lot, but enough to make it fun.

If there is an agent, and many times there is not, they do send a letter to the agent. If there is no response in a given time frame, usually 60 days or less the assignment goes thru.

Certainly makes my life easier.

You would be surprised how many small groups, 10 and under, do not have an active agent.

LOL, yea the next great maketing scheme, just type up a bunch of AOR Letters and go have every business owner sign them and send them in, no selling just get their signature!:D

I suppose if you can not get them to sign the letter one could just sign it for the business!

Back