CoventryOne 26% Premium Increase for 2010

Alpha, Coventry plans accumulate the deductible by plan year, not calendar year.

If you write a policy with a November 1 effective date the deductible accumulates from Nov to Nov rather than the more traditional calendar year with most policies.

Perhaps that is confusing you.

As I said, I don't keep up with them any more. Perhaps they do release new business rates other than prior to the beginning of a quarter. Frankly, I don't care. I don't expect them to be in the major med business in another 2 years.

I just had someone turned down, and still wondering what happened during the interview? The worse that I thought might have happened was a rate up or rider, but no counter was offered.

This is just one of the reasons why I no longer use them. Schizophrenic underwriting. They decline a guy because he had a motorcycle accident a few years ago, no residual problems. The reason? He might have another accident . . .

They take a woman who had two different kinds of cancer (cervical and brain) and had been declined by every other carrier.

Figure that one out.

Bitnis, buying health insurance is a lot different from marketing it. Several of my clients bought plans for years and changed carriers almost every year.

That was before they met me.

Now they buy once and keep it for years in most cases.

I knew I was going to be disappointed when Coventry entered the individual market in MD a few years back and sent me the rates on an Excel spreadsheet. Each column was a separate age and all I had to do was whip out my abacus to calculate the family premium.

Back