Cover mental disorders? Golden Rule insurance

pentagon said:
Florida

I am not on medication at the moment, but would like to be. I did not list this on my application, because I have not been officially diagnosed, nor have I ever taken the medication.

I wasn't sure about the prescription card addition, I am new to health insurance and I applied for insurance over the internet, so I did not speak with an agent. Is it easy to have this prescription card removed from my policy? I don't completely understand what it even does...could someone enlighten me? I was under the impression that it would bypass my $1500 deductible on medications...but I'm probably wrong.

Thanks again.

First thing is to find out if you even have a true Anxiety Disorder! If you don't need meds or treatment then everything is fine, if you do then you have a dilemna. Myself, I wouldn't take any medicine if I could live without it. What makes you think you do?

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't get health insurance specifically to cover expenses for this, in fact the medication appears to be pretty inexpensive so I may just see a doctor and purchase it myself and see if it even makes a difference. I wasn't even aware that I possibly had a disorder until recently. So, assuming I didn't even know I had this and then got insurance...how could they still deny coverage if I later found out I did have it?

But, no, I don't know that I have this, I haven't seen a doctor about it yet. I may never even see a doctor about it.

Also, could I call them up and tell them I forgot about this when I was filling out my application? Would they let me change it and then make me go get a diagnoses on my own dime or what?

My plan is not effecitive for another week, if that makes a difference.

thanks again

If you plan on seeing a doctor about your condition you'll need to immeditaly call Golden Rule.

This is what happens:

A: You see your doctor about your condition.
B: The doctor office claim is sent to Golden Rule.
C: Golden Rule claims says "Wow...already seeking treatment for something not noted on the application?"

And it goes downhill from there. First of all, your health comes before anything. If you feel something might be wrong you need to see a doctor. But you'll need to get a diagnosis or a clean bill of health before you can obtain health insurance.

So your choices again:

A: You're not going to see a doctor about it and just keep the policy.
B: You're going to see a doctor and you need to call Golden Rule today.

I didn't get health insurance specifically to cover expenses for this, in fact the medication appears to be pretty inexpensive so I may just see a doctor and purchase it myself and see if it even makes a difference. I wasn't even aware that I possibly had a disorder until recently. So, assuming I didn't even know I had this and then got insurance...how could they still deny coverage if I later found out I did have it?

It sounds like you have researched anxiety and are familiar with the costs of the medication and have thought about getting around the insurance company. DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!! As John and a few others noted, your policy will be rescinded, and that WILL effect future decisions from other insurance carriers. A reputable agent would have explained how the claim's review process works, so you would know that you are dancing with fire if you do not include something on an application.

Also, could I call them up and tell them I forgot about this when I was filling out my application?

Client: Mr. Insurance Carrier, I forgot to include that on the application, but I have all of the anxiety medications memorized as well as the costs associated with the medications.

Carrier: REALLY? Thank you for your business and good-bye. Your check is in the mail.

I am not trying to beat you up about this, but you are in a predicament. I would recommend that you first visit a professional who is trained to diagnose mental disorders. Personally, I would recommend seeing a Psychiatrist or Psychotherapist trained in using the DSM-IV and other tools. Most people visit their primary physician and although many physicians have training in mental disorders, the vast majority don't, so do you research.

Once you have an answer, then you will have a better idea as to your alternatives. I also highly recommend that you find an agent in your state. We do have one in this forum down in your area who you can contact.

Agreed. You see a regular doctor and say you have anxiety or panic attacks and while he's looking at his watch he'll likely say: "Here's Lexapro now get out. NEXT PATIENT"

I didn't read through all the replies, so perhaps someone has a solution, but my general opinion is that mental health is treated much like maternity in individual health plans...the benefits usually SUCK, to be frank.

I like my group coverage and we can rehash individual vs. group all day, but this is definitely one area where most individual plans are severely lacking.

NHB_MMA said:
I didn't read through all the replies, so perhaps someone has a solution, but my general opinion is that mental health is treated much like maternity in individual health plans...the benefits usually SUCK, to be frank.

I like my group coverage and we can rehash individual vs. group all day, but this is definitely one area where most individual plans are severely lacking.

I do agree with you that mental health coverage is crap for the individual plans I sell and that some group plans offer better benefits. It is a shame that people rather take medication and that it the norm, but getting therapy is considered a no-no. However, for the people without coverage, there is always room to negotiate with mental health professionals.

Back