CPA New to Insurance

CPAIns

I'm an established CPA in Texas that recently expanded into the insurance arena. I started out with L&H under the advisement of a client who worked with a large network marketing insurance structure. It was exciting until I realized that in order to move forward I would have to allow the "team" access to my client list. I could never get comfortable with that, even when specific clients requested that I connect them or refer them, it became an issue because not only were they presented insurance options they were being solicited to signup as an agent though they had no license. That didn't work for me.

Fast forward, I currently have an active client list over 500 and because they now see the insurance license posted in my office, they ask if I could provide them competitive quotes on everything from life and health to auto to commercial liability and commercial auto. Up till now I would just refer them to a colleague, but recently I decided to pursue this additional career path. I got my General Lines License and am not sure of the best next step.

I'm hoping that someone who has experienced moving into this career with an existing client pool can provide advise on the best next steps. My top priority is meeting the needs of my clients so a captive agent will most likely not work. I need to be able to present options and allow the clients to pick what works best for them. I must say I am a bit afraid that the administrative part of this might actually be overwhelming once I open the door to this as an additional service from my firm.

All advice welcomed....

I'm an established CPA in Texas that recently expanded into the insurance arena. I started out with L&H under the advisement of a client who worked with a large network marketing insurance structure. It was exciting until I realized that in order to move forward I would have to allow the "team" access to my client list. I could never get comfortable with that, even when specific clients requested that I connect them or refer them, it became an issue because not only were they presented insurance options they were being solicited to signup as an agent though they had no license. That didn't work for me.

Fast forward, I currently have an active client list over 500 and because they now see the insurance license posted in my office, they ask if I could provide them competitive quotes on everything from life and health to auto to commercial liability and commercial auto. Up till now I would just refer them to a colleague, but recently I decided to pursue this additional career path. I got my General Lines License and am not sure of the best next step.

I'm hoping that someone who has experienced moving into this career with an existing client pool can provide advise on the best next steps. My top priority is meeting the needs of my clients so a captive agent will most likely not work. I need to be able to present options and allow the clients to pick what works best for them. I must say I am a bit afraid that the administrative part of this might actually be overwhelming once I open the door to this as an additional service from my firm.

All advice welcomed....
Stick to being a CPA!:idea:

All advice welcomed....

How did it go? Did you take that route?
Currently I'm in your shoes, but luckily I have someone for help... I will keep on practicing my CPA and one of my employee who I have partnered up with, will help me with the Insurance. Would you like to give me some advise. How did you go through the process? Any startup suggestions.. did you contact the carriers on your own or went through a cluster? :)

Back