Denied life insurance because of PSA test

NPer24

We found out today that my husband was denied life insurance, because of a PSA of 6.09. The insurance company sent out a nurse who drew his blood. What are our options now? I would hate for him to have to get risky procedures based off of a test the Cancer Society doesn't even suggest men get. Is there anybody who would cover him with such a result? They didn't give an option to pay more, just outright denied him. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

We found out today that my husband was denied life insurance, because of a PSA of 6.09. The insurance company sent out a nurse who drew his blood. What are our options now? I would hate for him to have to get risky procedures based off of a test the Cancer Society doesn't even suggest men get. Is there anybody who would cover him with such a result? They didn't give an option to pay more, just outright denied him. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
What was his last PSA? How fast it goes up (PSA velocity) is a big indicator.

If he's under 60, he should 100% get tested. That's an unusually high PSA if he's younger.

I can't see a traditional carrier write this without further testing.

That’s very high . No company will touch him till he finds out why it’s that high . That’s covered under the question of awaiting further test results or tests to be done

What was his last PSA? How fast it goes up (PSA velocity) is a big indicator.

If he's under 60, he should 100% get tested. That's an unusually high PSA if he's younger.

I can't see a traditional carrier write this without further testing.

Caveat, not an agent.

I can't speak to the insurance issue or to the cancer society's opinion of the PSA. All I can do is tell you my own experience.

On an appointment when I was 50-51 my family doc at the time highly recommended I get a PSA test. I no longer remember any of the numbers i had, but that first one came back with no concern. I continued having an annual PSA test with numbers that did not concern the doctors. Then 4-5 maybe 6 years out, I got a result back, that taken by itself would have been no concern, but statistically in relation to prior results, it was apparently significant. Biopsy revealed cancer. The urologist gave me several options, but because of my mid fifties age highly recommended I exercise the surgical one. I did, and have had no cancer issues since.

I have had some side effect issues due to surgical techniques of the times, but it is my understanding that the modern robot and laser tools make this one of those surgeries that goes very smoothly in this day and age. That was a very stressful time for my wife too.

Best wishes to both of you for a good resolution to your situation.

LD

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear you've dealt with some issues, but it's great to know you're still here, because of the test! Though this is a frustrating issue, I realize that this might be a blessing in disguise. If he does have something, who knows when we might have found out otherwise. Thanks again for your thoughts, and take care!

Back