DHK Needs Your Help

I wish I knew him....Sounds like DHK needs a hug because he is asking what value he gives to others. Here is your hug: >----(^_^)----<

Reactions: DHK
DHK provides great educational, balanced information. His writings helped me decide NOT to
pursue a series 7 license and instead do a 65 and start a CFP course. So glad I don't have
clients in this stock market meltdown mess.
Would you mind clarifying? I had the S7 for 18 years before the 2008 crash that led to the depression. Rather than sell mutual funds for an upfront commission, I chose instead to charge an annual advisory fee within mutual fund wrap accounts, in addition to a fee for my financial advice. I allowed my S7 to lapse because I discovered that I was not truly independent, but captive instead. As a result, I am in pursuit of the S65. However, I don't understand how your reason to pursue the S65 vs S7 dictates the makeup of your client base and shields you from market meltdowns. My understanding of the S65 is that, aside from my goal of accomplishing independence, it simply allows you to provide investment advice for a fee. Why would you want a S65 if you don't want clients who invest in the stock market? You can still pursue your CFP, with nothing more than a life insurance license. Just so we are clear, I am not challenging you. I am just seeking clarity and understanding on the differences between the 2 certifications. Please advise.

Last edited:
Probably using tactical asset management strategies that are geared towards the client's risk tolerance rather than an individual mutual fund's objectives.

Probably using tactical asset management strategies that are geared towards the client's risk tolerance rather than an individual mutual fund's objectives.
I am pretty new to the site and have pretty much stayed in FE forum, which is currently 98% of my focus. This evening, I decided to explore the Practice Building section and ran across something you posted that caught my attention. Afterwards, I was inclined to read more threads posted by you.
You mentioned the idea of sending all your prospects, clients, friends, etc. a monthly newsletter relative to insurance. I was surprised to find that no one had asked where they can find such a newsletter. I have read Ben Feldman's material, as well as Joe Girard. Both, as you know, were the best salesman ever in their respective industries. Every month, Joe specifically would send greeting cards to anyone who had ever walked into the dealership, regardless of whether they bought a car from him or not. He attributes a significant amount of his success to this one marketing idea. My question for you is, what source could one use for such newsletters, if you don't mind sharing?

My question for you is, what source could one use for such newsletters, if you don't mind sharing?

The absolute BEST source... is the one you write yourself, because it will have your 'voice', so to speak. :) If you write a blog and can get subscribers to your blog and you post it to your social media, that's one great way to go.

The ones to avoid - are the ones that look to "institutional" and "sanitized". If you work with companies that send out newsletters for you, that's okay, but that primarily serves THEIR purposes rather than yours. Emerald newsletters fit this "institutional" look that I wouldn't touch and just look "purchased" by you. (I can't even find them anymore, but anything that's too 'glossy' and appears too polished... probably won't do it for you.)

If you don't want to write your own and you want a newsletter that may feel like it came from you, then I'd check out the ones written by the Insurance Pro Shop.

You can use a non-personalized edition that's included with their membership site ($1 for 30 day trial, then $29.95/month): https://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurance-sales/

You can get a personalized edition for both hard-copy PDF and emailed versions for $79.95/month: https://www.insuranceproshop.com/Newsletters.html

You can have both the membership site and the personalized newsletters for $89.95/month: https://www.insuranceproshop.com/gold-support-package/

Back