Difference Between MA and Med Sup

Could someone explain in plain language the major differences between a MA and a MedSupp? My wife is turning 65 in February. I've already received some info on a couple of MA. I know there is no monthly premium to pay, but if she goes into the hospital, they all have a daily copay for days 1-6 and then 100% thereafter. The medsupps I looked at have the monthly premium and depending on what plan you select, the med supp covers the inpatient deductible and you dont have to worry about a daily co-pay. I'm in Alabama if that helps. She has heart failure, chronic kidney failure (stage 3) but not on dialysis and is a diabetic. Takes alot of medicine, although most of it is generic now and all of her doctors are only seeing her every 6 months, so we don't have to go to the Dr. every month.
Thanks for any info..
Mike

If you would like to discuss it and have your questions answered give me a call, 573.544.4091. I won't even try to sell you either one. I think it will be a lot easier to understand if we discuss it.

I don't think your wife is a good candidate for an MA plan but I will answer all of your questions enabling you to hopefully make a well-informed decision. With all of her health questions the decision you make now will be one she is going to have to stay with. There may not be a chance of her changing her mind six months from now

Seems like the MedSupp is the way to go IF your health isn't great before your 65.
But many people can't afford the premium... on top of the Part B and Part D (Drug Plan) premiums. What to do? MA?

many people can't afford the premium

If you can't afford gap premiums you can't afford the copay's, deductibles and coinsurance with an MA plan when your health goes sour.

I compared a few MA plans in the Atlanta area in 2011 vs 2012. The same plans in 2012 have higher premiums and higher OOP.

Doesn't look good for those that want an Advantage plan.

From what I have heard, the prices of a med sup in ALA are so much better than some other areas. And I completely agree, you should talk with a broker that can help you with any carrier.

A med sup, no matter who you get it from, is the same benefits. You could look at a Plan F, for instance, and you are getting the exact same benefits but every carrier will have a different rate - although some vary by pennies and others more. And AARP United Health has consistently been the lowest annual increase (as someone mentioned earlier). I write United Health 98% of the time.

From what I have heard, the prices of a med sup in ALA are so much better than some other areas. And I completely agree, you should talk with a broker that can help you with any carrier.

A med sup, no matter who you get it from, is the same benefits. You could look at a Plan F, for instance, and you are getting the exact same benefits but every carrier will have a different rate - although some vary by pennies and others more. And AARP United Health has consistently been the lowest annual increase (as someone mentioned earlier). I write United Health 98% of the time.

In Indiana and Kentucky, United Healthcare starts out much higher than any other company on Medicare Supplements. Plus on top of that, they claim they are giving a discount which is taken away little by little over 10 years.

So if there is ANY truth to the claim that they have lower increases, it's very misleading since removing a portion of the "discount" each year is actually a 2nd increase in addition to the age increase and when you combine that with their rate is WAY too high to start with = bad choice.

Med Sups are priced state by state so this may not be true in your area.

Back