Do you remember the first Policy you Sold?

Lorenzoditonti

I've always found these stories to be fun to talk about with other Insurance Pros. My first policy was a $650 BOP that I drove two hours to go sell. I upsold them on EPLI coverage and switched them from a big name carrier with a minimum premium of like $500. I was so proud as a young insurance agent. Looking back it was quite hilarious.

Only one. That was my only year in the life insurance business and the only thing I remember is from the manager's lectures on sales techniques. His mantra was "We don't plan to fail, we fail to plan." He said it so often that I remember it as well as my Army serial number.

I have better stories from 1975 which was the year I drove a cab before getting back into the insurance business. Was P&C after that.

July 1971... Manager and I had been canvassing and made an appointment with the wife to come back and talk to her and the husband that evening.. About time for the appointment, the manager bailed on me and told me to take care of it. I was a nervous wreck as I approached the house that night. Almost turned around and left but I managed to summon up enough courage to knock on the door.. When the door opened the guy blocked out the light.. He was huge.. 6'5", 250+. My first thought was, 'Lord, I hope I don't make this guy mad." (I was of the mind that people get mad when you knock on their door. ) He invited me in, was as nice as anyone I had ever met. Bought a WL family plan.

1986. Simple renters and auto policy. I had no clue what i was doing and messed up on the premium. Everything was manually calculated - BI, Med, Comp, Coll, all had base rate + a bunch of multiplying factors. Everything was Agency billed, so if you screw up a quote, the company always got paid in full, leaving the agent to be bill collector or starve.

This first insured is still with me today!

Man bought a STC policy from me. I had my doubts about him because he would have me go silent as we passed in front of the TV saying that we were in a meeting. Only thing I saw was CNN on the TV. Policy issued and the guy went into Assisted Living a little over a year later. I went to see him to see if he needed help filling claims and his daughter said she had canceled the policy to save money.

2004 or 5, winter, door to door health insurance. I left a brochure for a restaurant owner, and he called me back. I was on the street already. He stated, he knows what is this and will buy it. I didn't have enough English yet and offered my manager to come, but he said he doesn't need him. So I sold my first policy. It was too easy for a start. I was on a temporary license. Under Bush Jr. this product was created. Now its advantages are lost somewhere...

Back