Do You Turn in An Agent who Tricked a Client into Signing an App?

Agentinjax

Expert
....or do you just keep it moving because this will be a case of he say she say since the client did sign on the dotted line? Here is the scenario:

Client's old agent door knocks on his door unexpected. Client lets agent know has an appointment with another agent. Old Agent still insists on showing him plan. Client agrees. Signs Scope. Client still says new agent coming. Old Agent leaves.

Old agent returns later and says just in case new agent does not show up, sign this form so that I can return and enroll you. Client signs.

New agent tells client. I think you have been enrolled in a plan. There is no such document that you would need to sign so that the agent could come back. You already stated you signed the scope (client said a document with initials then his signature was signed at the very beginning of the door knock). That was the scope. The last thing signed had to be the plan. Won't know until it shows up in the system.

What would you do? Turn agent in or just chalk it up to the game and keep it moving?

....or do you just keep it moving because this will be a case of he say she say since the client did sign on the dotted line? Here is the scenario:

Client's old agent door knocks on his door unexpected. Client lets agent know has an appointment with another agent. Old Agent still insists on showing him plan. Client agrees. Signs Scope. Client still says new agent coming. Old Agent leaves.

Old agent returns later and says just in case new agent does not show up, sign this form so that I can return and enroll you. Client signs.

New agent tells client. I think you have been enrolled in a plan. There is no such document that you would need to sign so that the agent could come back. You already stated you signed the scope (client said a document with initials then his signature was signed at the very beginning of the door knock). That was the scope. The last thing signed had to be the plan. Won't know until it shows up in the system.

What would you do? Turn agent in or just chalk it up to the game and keep it moving?

Who does the client want to work with? Why is he dumping the old agent?

I didn't follow the story too good. Are you saying the new agent didn't wait 48-hours after the signing of the scope? Yes I would turn that in because it puts dishonest agents at an advantage over honest ones. If it was a door knock without an appointment, that should be turned in too if it blocks you out of a legit sale.

But the bottom line is if you are the old agent and the customer is looking elsewhere, there is a reason.

The client does not want the old agent because he did not return several calls to help the client during non-AEP. The old agent just showed up and door knocked the first week of AEP.

The new agent had already been talking to the client, did a scope and made an appointment to see the client. In the interim, old agent just pops up out of the blue to get the deal and apparently got it by tricking the client.

I don't think it's right. I think it's deceptive and the client is upset about it and is probably going to be even more upset once the app finally shows in the system.... so I say turn the agent in but, I was wondering how the group felt.

The client does not want the old agent because he did not return several calls to help the client during non-AEP. The old agent just showed up and door knocked the first week of AEP. The new agent had already been talking to the client, did a scope and made an appointment to see the client. In the interim, old agent just pops up out of the blue to get the deal and apparently got it by tricking the client. I don't think it's right. I think it's deceptive and the client is upset about it and is probably going to be even more upset once the app finally shows in the system.... so I say turn the agent in but, I was wondering how the group felt.

The answer is yes especially with these circumstances.

I say no. Just concentrate on doing the right thing yourself and you will be rewarded in the long run. Let God be the judge of other people. Not you.

Can new agent find out when app is in system before client receives notice of approval?

Depending on carrier approval notice could take a few weeks. I do agree, if there was deception, not OK. I have been told that many agent complaints come from other agents. We want a fair playing field, and, often clients aren't aware of how to complain or if they have an actionable complaint. Never done one, but I am relatively new.

----------

Goose also has a point. Occasionally, the complained upon agent could raise a "storm" with management/counter accusations of violations. Seen that happen, not in senior insurance, but if it does, it's a colossal time consuming process.
We do sign to report CMS violations...can be a judgement call.

Agree with newby, the more dis honest agent's you can get out of the business the better it will be for honest agents. Call compliance at your company and let them deal with it. FB has a process in place (finally) just for this.

I say no. Just concentrate on doing the right thing yourself and you will be rewarded in the long run. Let God be the judge of other people. Not you.

To a point I agree with you. But if your business is hampered because you are doing things right and someone is taking money out of your pocket by screwing with the rules, they need to straighten their act up.

Though you can't door knock MA clients there is no rule that you HAVE to wait 48 hours after the scope is signed

It looks like you are dealing with a senior that is running at less than 100% of capacity, which is the type of person that all of these rules were designed to protect.

Go ahead and email the insurance dept and the carrier, but then put it out of your mind and focus on finding the next one. That type of client is going to be hard to retain anyway.

Back