Docs Non-Participating Medicare & Opt Out of Medicare?

What's the deal with Mayo? Does everyone go there? Some people toss that around like going to Mayo is as common as going to McDonalds for a cheeseburger.

As I recall the non-participating deal started with Mayo in AZ (or maybe NM) and apparently has spread to other clinics. Looks like the MN clinic still accepts assignment.

More about Medicare - Billing and Insurance at Mayo Clinic - Billing

Can't tell from the above if ALL Mayo's are required to accept assignment for the listed items or if that only applies to MN.

A couple of different rules on Medicare Supplements apply in MN, see pg 43 of the "Choosing" CMS Medigap guide below.

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02110-Medicare-Medigap.guide.pdf

Not sure about Mayo accepting assignment in MN, they may have to make an exception based on the state laws there.

----------

I found these rules for Mayo in MN.

Insurance frequently asked questions - Billing and Insurance at Mayo Clinic - Billing

Does Mayo Clinic accept Medicare patients?

For out-of-state-residents:

Mayo Clinic has chosen (by the board of governors) to be a nonparticipating facility, and thus does not accept assignment from Medicare for out-of-state residents at any of its campuses in Arizona, Florida or Minnesota. Nonparticipating means that Mayo Clinic does not accept the Medicare approved amount as payment in full.

For in-state residents:

Like other health care organizations that do not accept Medicare assignment, Mayo Clinic can bill up to 15 percent above the Medicare allowable amount, for which the patient is financially responsible.
Mayo does not add a straight 15 percent to the bills; rather, Medicare determines how much above the approved amount Mayo can bill. These charges are referred to as Part B excess charges by Medicare. Accordingly, Mayo bills the patient for the full amount of the charges and expects full reimbursement from the patient.
In addition, Medicare will pay the patient directly for services rendered, and the patient will need to reimburse Mayo Clinic.

What's the deal with Mayo? Does everyone go there? Some people toss that around like going to Mayo is as common as going to McDonalds for a cheeseburger.

As I recall the non-participating deal started with Mayo in AZ (or maybe NM) and apparently has spread to other clinics. Looks like the MN clinic still accepts assignment.

More about Medicare - Billing and Insurance at Mayo Clinic - Billing

Can't tell from the above if ALL Mayo's are required to accept assignment for the listed items or if that only applies to MN.

I read that to say that all Mayos are required to accept assignment for those listed items.

Back