Doctor's Office - Addt. Insured Situation

Hi Ya'll!

One of my clients is a Doctor, who shares and sub-leases his space from another Doctor.

Doctor 1, the tenant, names the lessor, Doctor 2, as an additional insured on their BOP. Pretty cookie cutter.

Should Doctor 1 try to become an additional insured on Doctor 2's BOP as well?

They share a common space, waiting room, hallways, etc. Basically, they use the same office! Any feedback would be appreciated.:1cute:

Hi Ya'll!

One of my clients is a Doctor, who shares and sub-leases his space from another Doctor.

Doctor 1, the tenant, names the lessor, Doctor 2, as an additional insured on their BOP. Pretty cookie cutter.

They share a common space, waiting room, hallways, etc. Basically, they use the same office! Any feedback would be appreciated.:1cute:

I am not a P&C agent but my answer would be yes.

Hi Ya'll!

Y'all say "y'all" in California? I thought that was a southern thing.

But yes, they need to be listed as additional insureds on each other's policies since they share facilities.

Anyone who has a potential risk should be listed on a policy. If I sign as a co-signer on my brother's house, but don't live there, I need to be an additional insured on his HO policy because if he is sued I am also in jeopardy.

Same principle with your scenario.

Thank you for the response.

What about a claims scenario where they both named due to bodily injury? What a nightmare to sort out if they are both AI's on each other's policies.

One thought is to place them both on BOP's with the same carrier. That way we don't have two carriers doing a slug Fest when both Dr's get named in a suit.

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you for the response.

What about a claims scenario where they both named due to bodily injury? What a nightmare to sort out if they are both AI's on each other's policies.

One thought is to place them both on BOP's with the same carrier. That way we don't have two carriers doing a slug Fest when both Dr's get named in a suit.

Any thoughts on that?

Yes, that would be a nightmare and the insurance companies would probably fight tooth and nail over it.

I just assumed you were writing them both with the same company, that's what I get for making an assumption. I would definitely recommend they have the same insurer in this situation.

Back