Does anyone Have Sound Advice?

"He's retired and barley works. Jason 404-667-9849. Come to my office I will go over all the contracts and show you all the technology."
Your Dad sells 10 while also making his own home brew?

Thanks for your reply. I totally get that anything offered would be an IC 1099 position. I have no license yet. I am just a sales professional who understand how to sell in a consultative way and I want to do my due diligence before committing my time and energy to a company. I do not know enough about this industry to jump into this as an independent just yet.

I keep reading things like "find a good agency" and yet no one seems to mention any agency names. I am not adverse to being independent. I just want to learn the business first.

I will spend some time on the Final Expense section to see what resonates there.

----------

Thanks for responding to my question. I will take a look at both companies that you mentioned.

When I first attempted to get into insurance, I had no idea how the industry worked, and nobody to explain it to me. Everyone spoke in acronyms, FMO, GA, MGA, etc. I learned the hard way. Here are some basics: There are basically two types of agents. Captive and independent. If you are captive, you can only represent the products for that company. Banker's Life is an example. If you are independent, you can represent as many insurance companies as you want, as long as the companies allow independent agents (most do). Insurance is structured kind of like network marketing (think Amway). There can be an upline between you and the insurance company. There are also other companies that may be in your upline. The most common of these companies is the Field Marketing Organization (FMO). They are supposed to act as the back office for independent agents. Some are better at giving you help than others. Since everyone in your upline gets an override on your sales, some FMO's are there only to collect the money, others are very good at giving you support, training, lead discounts, etc. I think this is what you've seen when people say find a good agency. I think they mean FMO. An agency is usually an independent agent who brings in other independent agents (builds a downline). The agency will still have FMO's in it's upline.

I did not have a good experience as a captive. The company that I got in with (not Banker's), promised more leads than I could work when recruiting me. Then once I was licensed, the leads had oddly dried up, and I was told to "walk and talk". In other words hit the street and knock doors. Also, I would have had to stay 10 years before being fully vested in my commissions.

This is only my experience. I know there are others on this forum who do quite well as captive agents. It just wasn't for me. I've always owned my own business or straight commission sales, and wanted more control over my income. Hope this helps.

Back