Does Medicare Cover Strabismus Surgery?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Client has double vision caused by a "loose" eye muscle. Doc recommending strabismus surgery.

The condition ("lazy eye") common in children. Less so in adults. In this case it was diagnosed 3 yrs ago (client is 70) and has progressively become worse.

Prism glasses provide temporary relief as long as the glasses are worn. When he takes them off his vision is worse and he gets dizzy.

Google search reveals limited information.
Strabismus surgery among aged medicare beneficiaries. - PubMed - NCBI
Adult Strabismus – Dr. Brian G. Sherman, MD
Strabismus surgery for Medicare-aged patients: more than a decade of insights - ScienceDirect
Strabismus surgery among Medicare beneficiaries: imputed rates of reoperation in the same calendar year
https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/586182_3

Have any of your clients had this procedure and was it covered by original Medicare?

Most of us know this as "Lazy Eye"
Client has double vision caused by a "loose" eye muscle. Doc recommending strabismus surgery.

The condition ("lazy eye") common in children. Less so in adults. In this case it was diagnosed 3 yrs ago (client is 70) and has progressively become worse.

Prism glasses provide temporary relief as long as the glasses are worn. When he takes them off his vision is worse and he gets dizzy.

Google search reveals limited information.
Strabismus surgery among aged medicare beneficiaries. - PubMed - NCBI
Adult Strabismus – Dr. Brian G. Sherman, MD
Strabismus surgery for Medicare-aged patients: more than a decade of insights - ScienceDirect
Strabismus surgery among Medicare beneficiaries: imputed rates of reoperation in the same calendar year
https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/586182_3

Have any of your clients had this procedure and was it covered by original Medicare?

This is what most of us know as "Lazy Eye." I have had a few clients get surgery for this and it was paid for by Medicare. The condition is an actual problem and is not just a cosmetic problem so it is covered by insurance and medicare. Most of my clients who have had it for their whole lives do not opt for surgery. My Dad had a case of the "Lazy Eye" and it never bothered me that much when I was younger but when he was over 60 it became more pronounced and kind of got on my nerves. He thought about getting it fixed but never did.

Its like the eyelid surgery. Its going to depend on specifics and we don't have that. I've had a couple that paid, I've had one that was pissed because they didn't qualify for it. It sounds like yours will, because of the dizziness. It has to cause a medical problem beyond vision loss.

Back