Does United Health Secure Horizons Still Have Inside Salesmen?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
When I left the company in late 2006, they still employed full time sales rep employees, NOT the ICAs that I've heard of. I've heard that they don't have these type of employees anymore in my market, but do they have them in other markets?
I've also heard that the ICAs have to pay for the "light snacks" of the prospects that attend their meetings. UHC only pays for the advertising. true?

Re: Does United Health Secure Horizons Still Have Inside Salesmen

I'm pretty sure they don't have field agents but their telesales operation is massive.

(I don't know much about their community events.)

Yes, they still have inside sales reps (ISR's) that are company employees, although they are getting thinned out.
I am an ICA (independent captive agent) and United paid for my snacks and facility charges at community events during the last AEP.

Yes, they still have inside sales reps (ISR's) that are company employees, although they are getting thinned out.
I am an ICA (independent captive agent) and United paid for my snacks and facility charges at community events during the last AEP.

My friend was told that there are no employed in-house sales reps except the ICAs, except in Corpus Christi, because of the newly acquired Physicians Health Choice.

I have been contacted about becoming an ICA with United. Do you have any insight you would like to share? Do you sell any other products? Thank you...

POTP is correct. They sell through ISRs, ICAs, Independent Agents, Call Centers and EMOs.

I have been contacted about becoming an ICA with United. Do you have any insight you would like to share? Do you sell any other products? Thank you...

I left the ISR channel to become an ICA last year. It was good for me because I was still plugged in to their community meetings. I sold over 200 MAPD plans in AEP. I am looking forward to renewals in 2012 (and for 8 more years as long as they stay on the books). Don't count on any leads though.

I also sold 50 or so AARP med supps. The only other contract I have is with MOO for med supps. (In case the client is dead set against AARP). We aren't able to market any other MAPD plans.

For me it's good. Looking forward to the renewals and adding on each AEP.

I left the ISR channel to become an ICA last year. It was good for me because I was still plugged in to their community meetings. I sold over 200 MAPD plans in AEP. I am looking forward to renewals in 2012 (and for 8 more years as long as they stay on the books). Don't count on any leads though.

I also sold 50 or so AARP med supps. The only other contract I have is with MOO for med supps. (In case the client is dead set against AARP). We aren't able to market any other MAPD plans.

For me it's good. Looking forward to the renewals and adding on each AEP.

congrats on your super selling season! which market are you in?

UHS and Humana still have salaried employed field salespeople. Positions are drying up for UHC, not sure about Humana. Both companies give a monthly salary and commission. They give less commission and renewals for career agents.

Both require quota sales. Humana will fire you if you don't meet quotas for so many months. Humana requires sales of their "specialty products" besides MA/MAPD. UHC is focused on MA/MAPD sales.

As for ICAs, the managers can pay for whatever they want to pay for the ICA. Last year, ICAs paid for their own rental of meeting locations. This year, management will pay, but "own" the meeting.

Business cards, name tags, and leads are not charged to the UHC ICAs. As an ICA (Independent Career Agent, an oxymoron if ever was one...) some managers will subtlety threaten not to give you leads if you do not conform to specific requirements they put on you. This is an idle threat since leads have been scarce anyway...have heard same for career agents. Both companies will tell you don't depend on them for leads, to go out and get your own.

Prospects calling UHC are persuaded to enroll with the telephone agent. If they can't get them, it becomes a field lead sent to the managers. Humana is probably the same, but not sure.

For someone that is new to Medicare sales, a career agent would be great. After knowledge, community and client base increase, some agents prefer to go completely independent. What's best depends on the agent.

Back