Duties of an Unlicensed Insurance CSR??

MRC0527

I'm having a really difficult time trying to find an answer to my dilemma, so I thought I'd give this a shot.
I'm in Illinois and started working for an agent about a couple months ago. I am brand new to the insurance world. I am not licensed, although the agent said that he would help me get there, but his argument is that there are no quality insurance classes to take. Anyway, I'm concerned about how much I should be doing in the office in terms of servicing policies. I spoke to the agent about it today and he says that I'm allowed to do everything as long as he does a final check on any new business I write.
He has it to the point that he is doing VERY little for the clients and referring them all to me. I'm adjusting coverages, taking payments, soliciting higher coverages, quoting, and writing new business.
Reading through the IL statutes, it is my understanding that if I am not licensed, I can only do administrative tasks that don't directly involve solicitation, selling, and negotiation.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I just want to make sure that I'm not committing a crime working here. Thanks!

I'm having a really difficult time trying to find an answer to my dilemma, so I thought I'd give this a shot.
I'm in Illinois and started working for an agent about a couple months ago. I am brand new to the insurance world. I am not licensed, although the agent said that he would help me get there, but his argument is that there are no quality insurance classes to take. Anyway, I'm concerned about how much I should be doing in the office in terms of servicing policies. I spoke to the agent about it today and he says that I'm allowed to do everything as long as he does a final check on any new business I write.
He has it to the point that he is doing VERY little for the clients and referring them all to me. I'm adjusting coverages, taking payments, soliciting higher coverages, quoting, and writing new business.
Reading through the IL statutes, it is my understanding that if I am not licensed, I can only do administrative tasks that don't directly involve solicitation, selling, and negotiation.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I just want to make sure that I'm not committing a crime working here. Thanks!

You most certainly are violating state DOI statutes. Your agent doesnt want you licensed because he wants a pawn to do his work for a low wage so he doesnt split commissions with you. Both of you could be fined or worse.

If you want, you can take the course on line at your own pace. If you want to call me I'll help you out with it. 888-395-5220 ask for Frank

Quality insurance classes? :1baffled: Take a course online, get licensed. Simple as that. No such thing as a quality course since you need to actually be in the business to learn. You can't learn everything in a class. It will def. help you short the learning curve, but real life is key. Passing and getting the license is the easy part. Sounds like the guy doesn't want you to get licensed.

I have an issue as well. I'm an unlicensed CSR, my agent wanted me to call an insured and ask them why they dropped their comprehensive and collision.. UM, I can't discuss coverage.. This is a hot mess... What to do?!

kmed21- I don't know if this will help. But after reading the response I got, I went in and talked to my boss. I told him that I researched the law and I was well aware of what I should and shouldn't be doing. He challenged me and had me show him the law, then went on to tell me I was reading it wrong (habitually insinuates that I'm unintelligent) but would get me licensed anyway. I just finished my class yesterday and will test next week. In the meantime, he is still insistent that I can do everything. I'm truly amazed by someone that constantly preaches about integrity and honesty running his business this way. I will be so relieved when this is all behind me and I can move on in my career.

Back