Eligibility for medicare question

I can see where a regular guy like me could get confused. I did a google search and apparently live in the only state that has this requirement:

During a guaranteed issue period of at least one month each calendar year, as established by the issuer, every issuer shall offer standardized Medicare Supplement Plan A, as defined by rule, to all applicants on a basis that does not deny coverage to any individual or group based on health status, claims experience, receipt of health care, or medical condition. [FONT=courier, fixed][1991, c. 740, §13 (new).][/FONT]

Winter

What state would that be?

I'm sure it is a state provision and not a part of Medicare's rules and regs. Just like the Guar Issue provision is a state law in both California and Missouri.

In Calif each person has a 30 day Guar Issue on their birth date and in Missouri it is also a 30 day Guar Issue only on the anniversary date of the policy. However, if a person has a Plan F in Missouri the agent can only replace it with a Plan F. Not any other Plan.

What state would that be?

I'm sure it is a state provision and not a part of Medicare's rules and regs. Just like the Guar Issue provision is a state law in both California and Missouri.

In Calif each person has a 30 day Guar Issue on their birth date and in Missouri it is also a 30 day Guar Issue only on the anniversary date of the policy. However, if a person has a Plan F in Missouri the agent can only replace it with a Plan F. Not any other Plan.

Maine. Yup, it's in state statute.

Frank....Guaranteed issue is a good one to look up, both in Medigap guide and the Medicare and you Guide. If still confused, look up employer coverage.

I just went thru that with a former client of mine.

This answer is applies for California (at least).

Irrespective (a lot of you would write "irregardless" but that's not even a real word) of when you take Part B, if you have had a group policy all the time you have had medicare, you retain your ability to get a Med Supp on a GI basis.

I believe this is a federal deal but not sure.

Rick

I have not looked but you are probably right. That question probably is for creditable coverage. But I still disagree with you. You do get a GI med supp if you lose your former employer plan.

Newbie to medicare supplement question:

Do you have to be collecting social security to qualify for medicare when you tun 65? What if you are still working and not collecting social security but just want medicare? Can do or no can do?

Thanks.

Winter

Couple comments:

1. Directly answering the first question, you get Medicare at 65, even if SS benefits start at 65 and 10 months.
2. You get Part A automatically, and B is voluntary. You are allowed to take B without regard to any other coverage. However, you are able to defer part B due to ACTIVE EMPLOYMENT OF SELF OR SPOUSE, then sign up for B without penalty under "Special Enrollment" which begins the sooner of the termination of employment or coverage and lasts for 8 months. Retiree benefits and/or COBRA do not allow you to defer Part B, the 8 months begins immediately if you elect COBRA.
3. There is a guarantee issue within 63 days for loss of employer group, COBRA and/or retiree benefits (assuming you have Part B, of course). See protection #2 or page 17-18 CLICK HERE
4. There are no Federally mandated GI rights other than Open enrollment (6 mos from Part B effective date) and the GI provisions listed in #3 above. Any other rights would be state specific.

Craig

Couple comments:

1. Directly answering the first question, you get Medicare at 65, even if SS benefits start at 65 and 10 months.
2. You get Part A automatically, and B is voluntary. You are allowed to take B without regard to any other coverage. However, you are able to defer part B due to ACTIVE EMPLOYMENT OF SELF OR SPOUSE, then sign up for B without penalty under "Special Enrollment" which begins the sooner of the termination of employment or coverage and lasts for 8 months. Retiree benefits and/or COBRA do not allow you to defer Part B, the 8 months begins immediately if you elect COBRA.
3. There is a guarantee issue within 63 days for loss of employer group, COBRA and/or retiree benefits (assuming you have Part B, of course). See protection #2 or page 17-18 CLICK HERE
4. There are no Federally mandated GI rights other than Open enrollment (6 mos from Part B effective date) and the GI provisions listed in #3 above. Any other rights would be state specific.

Craig
Thanks Craig for a more complete answer. But next time, just say "Rick is correct!" It happens so rarely that I love to hear it.

Rick

Couple comments:

Craig

I was thinking only in terms of an employee who took Part B, continued working, stayed on the employers group plan, decided to retire and the employee dropped the group health plan and wanted to take a Med Supp when retiring.

I had a mind set and couldn't get away from it. Amazing what a little sleep will do. LOL

If the retiree has the option of staying on the group plan then the 63 days of "GI" does not apply. However, if the company does not allow retirees to continue on the group plan then the 63 days comes into play.

Usually a letter from the employer is required stating that the retiree does not have the option to stay on the group plan.

Thanks Craig.

First mistake this year. :D

Back