Employee Benefits - Voluntary Platform

sjj92660

Does anyone have any experience getting into schools? I was calling on schools for awhile but always got the run around telling me that Schools First handles all the education. (Which obviously Schools First isn't going to let me put on a educational workshop) Let me know if anyone has any insight or pointers. Thanks

I have not prospected schools much. It is my Understanding that spring time is the best time to prospect them. If you get a go ahead in the spring you will then be allowed back in the late summer to present your products at an in service meeting to the teachers.

I have recently wrote a charter school. A lot different than a public school.

Prospect the school board. They are the one that would actually make the decision. It's still very political.

ABC gave you some great advise regarding the school board. That's probably your only way in. Of course timing is going to be a crucial factor as well.

what they said...

only to add, get a relationship with the superintendent, ba & hr person. most voluntary doesnt have to go through the bid rfp/rfq process because its not a financial liability to the school. ive gotten a BOR on the voluntary for each.

My experience is that many schools view voluntary as a negotiated benefit. Although there is no direct cost, there is still a administrative cost, along with the need to coordinate agents in the school buildings, etc.

Unions do much of the negotiating, so getting to the union president is a possible starting point.

I steer away from public schools because of the many hurdles getting in, the difficult working conditions.

Working public schools is an ongoing process. Find out who is on their board. You'll want to research the board and find out information about the individuals. Attend a meeting that's open to have a chance to speak with them. Sometimes you have to be creative.

Back