Even some 'big guys' don't get it!

I called one of my leads yesterday and was told, "we just got on a plan and are very happy with the plan and agent." I asked him, who did you choose? He said Mega Life! I asked him if the agent explained the plan and limits it may have, he said yes. I asked him if he'd like to explore some better options, he said no.

How do you go up against that? Send a letter? With links to different websites that show what garbage it is? Let it go? I just hate seeing this happen, he totally got worked by this Mega agent. It's tough since you want to tell them how dangerous it is and what a bad decision they made without insulting their decision making.

I called one of my leads yesterday and was told, "we just got on a plan and are very happy with the plan and agent." I asked him, who did you choose? He said Mega Life! I asked him if the agent explained the plan and limits it may have, he said yes. I asked him if he'd like to explore some better options, he said no.

How do you go up against that? Send a letter? With links to different websites that show what garbage it is? Let it go? I just hate seeing this happen, he totally got worked by this Mega agent. It's tough since you want to tell them how dangerous it is and what a bad decision they made without insulting their decision making.

You "let it go" and put a next contact date for a year from now in their record to call them again. Keep copious notes on the conversation so you can refer to the discussion you had with them.

People like that have to find out on their own that they made a bad decision. To try to tell them that they weren't smart enough to make a well informed, intelligent decision is an insult and will really piss them off.

In a year they will probably find out and then they may offer to send a cab for you if you are willing to help them out.

If you want my business I would expect you to work for it, not send me to a website and expect me to spend all that time doing the research.

All I'm asking them to do is go to the website and fill out a form that gives name, address, age and info.
http://www.insurancesolutions123.com/page1/page1.html

Isn't that what "selling" is. Helping educate people to let them know that there are better options for them?

Educate? Of coure. But I only want clients who are ready to learn. I don't want to 'chase' after clients. My clients are most often (90% of the time) smart, upscale, wealthy, business owners or professionals. They have computers and like to use them. Time and convenience is important to them. How do I know? I AM one of them. Most often (not always) I sell 'to my own.' I try to seek out people who are wealthy, educated, and who value 'time' almost more than their children!

Just because we have all these new advances in technology doesn't mean that they are better than the tried and true methods of selling. I believe people still like dealing with real people, not a computer screen.

Most often Imake the face to face meeting, usually at their home, office or my tennis club, Gold River Racquet Club (I sell to a lot of folks in this "upper" economic strata: http://www.goldriverrc.com/testimonials.html ) But at least 25% of the time I do everything on the phone and the net. There are clients I've never met face to face... a few of them live four blocks from me. If they don't want to meet (too busy, on the road, not necessary, or whatever reason they have) fine with me. I'm short and funny looking and I don't make a great personal 'statement.' I have brains, but not beauty. (I often wish it were otherwise, given our cultural values.)

Why do you "scan your signature"? If you are making it a personal letter isn't it a little tacky to print your signature? I sign every letter I send out, it really doesn't take that long.

Huh? I reply by email, not snail mail. As soon as I'm off the phone after the cold-call, they get my email... sometimes while they are still on the phone with me!

It sounds like you only want people who are sitting there with their check book in front of them waiting for you to tell them the amount. It really doesn't sound like you want to provide service nor "work" for the business.

I took a calculated gamble here by posting my methodology. I did it to share, not to have you be critical of it.

Frank, et.al. if there is something you don't like about it, fine. But don't get on here and beat up on me (or be holier than thou) because either you don't understand my demographics, my methods, my assumptions, and my sales tactics... or you just think you know better. You might. But you're not in my geograhical and demograhical market (TTBOMK) and you're not 'me.' Every sales methodology MUST be tailored to the individual salesperson. There is no magic bullet in sales. I've been in sales for 30 years and I may not know much, but I DO know that!

Do what works for you... and share it (if you dare)

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Do what works for you... and share it (if you dare)

Al, everyone here is different. What works for me (or you) may not work for others.

Personally, I enjoy reading (most) of what others post. I learn something even from folks who do not have my same style.

Some agents are slam-bam, thank you ma'm and on to the next. Others go the other way and drip on prospects, educating them with every step.

I am a dripper.

Do I waste time on some folks? Sure.

Do I like it when they dump on me? Absolutely not.

I can beat folks up and drag them across the finish line with the best of them . . . but they never last.

I get a lot of referrals from clients and those referrals are like gold.

I also get referrals from people who did not buy, but they appreciated the time I spent.

take care,

True. Every agent needs to find their own comfort zone. I used to get a lot of advice that while I had a client on the phone I needed to sign them up. I don't feel comfortable with that method. It takes me around 2 weeks to put in an app after 1st contact.

I still say insurance is a numbers game. I make sure I have plenty of business owners to call and let the numbers take care of themselves. When I was being conservative with the amount of leads I purchased rejection was a little harder to take.

Mental anguish has a price. If I can call clients, dump off the ones who don't convey high interest and make 200K a year from the ones who do have high interest then I'm not following up with anyone except through Constant Contact.

Could I pester people, call them over and over and send untold personal emails? Sure, and my sales would go up. So would my frustration. Not worth it. Get a lot of leads, work with people who value your services.

I agree with John on this. Go with the ones that you can get. I prefer a soft sell approach personally. I don't call them again if they don't return my call after 2 messages. I don't like to be bothered so I assume no one else does either. But everyone is different. I don't think that my sales approach would work for other people. To each his own.

SME,
I agree with that completely. I don't like to be bothered and I find sales tactics and techniques to be a turn off. In short, I prefer to work with people who have the same approach I do.

Extra salesy types don't get my business. Period.

Back