Ever Heard of This? Old Reliable Life Insurance Co

Old Reliable has been around for a long time. They are still very active in southern Arkansas. As a matter of fact, I have replaced more Old Reliable polices that I have Lincoln Heritage policies, their rates are really high.

Old Reliable has been around for a long time. They are still very active in southern Arkansas. As a matter of fact, I have replaced more Old Reliable polices that I have Lincoln Heritage policies, their rates are really high.

They have to pay for the guys that do the collecting. Dat ain't cheap.

I started with The Reliable Life Insurance Company which is what you are referring to as Old Reliable. Actually Old Reliable was the name of their Fire Insurance Company, which was not a true Home Owners Policy. It was fun in those days, and a good place to start. It has been said that if you can make it in the debit business, you can make it anywhere. The training was excellent.

There are still a good many small local and regional companies like this. Several of them (perhaps larger ones) are under the Kemper Home Services umbrella. I've never heard of Reliable but Union National is prominent in LA and MS. It looks like Reliable has offices in AR, MO, OK and TX. I can think of about a half dozen others off the top of my head that do business in my state.

American General may still have a home service division as well. Monumental has been trying to get away from it for years (get away from collections specifically) but as indicated previously some offices may still do it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
They have to pay for the guys that do the collecting. Dat ain't cheap.

Dats right. You gets what you pay for. And many of these company's policyholders prefer someone to come by and collect rather than be on bank draft. Some of them don't have a checking account.

Last edited:
Cenla Agent said:
There are still a good many small local and regional companies like this. I can think of over a half dozen off the top of my head. Several of them (perhaps larger ones) are under the Kemper Home Services umbrella. I've never heard of Reliable but Union National is prominent down here. There are also a good many smaller companies.

American General may still have a home service division as well. Monumental has been trying to get away from it for years (get away from collections specifically) but as indicated previously some offices may still do it.

Reliable is under Kemper. Yes, AGLA still operates a home service division. You're apparently in Louisiana? I'm in Texas, but I'm also licensed in LA. What are the names of the other home service companies you're aware of there?

Are you doing some home service? What company do you use for that?

Last edited:
Reliable is under Kemper. Yes, AGLA still operates a home service division. You're apparently in Louisiana? I'm in Texas, but I'm also licensed in LA. What are the names of the other home service companies you're aware of there?

Are you doing some home service? What company do you use for that?

Yes, I'm in LA. I don't do home service and never have. But there's definitely still a market for it. I had a guy once go with a debit company even though it cost almost twice as much as the FE he had asked me about. My recollection is that he didn't have a checking account. Some probably don't want bank draft whether or not they have a bank account.

Home Service companies that come to mind are Kilpatrick, Security Plan, Mothe (which includes Dixie, Lafourche and Evangeline) and Security National. There are probably at least several more. There are a couple of small insurance companies that I know of that are HQ'd in Baton Rouge but I don't know whether or not they do home service.

Last edited:
There are several companies that still do home service as previously stated. Some companies don't operate in some states like Columbian doesn't in Mississippi or Alabama. Basically american general is out they don't hire new home service agents when the old ones quit anymore. I've done it and final expense and like it the best (home service).

Back