Federal Insurance Exchange and State Medicaid Question.....

Hope someone can please help me clear this up. I'm in a state that uses the Federal Exchange and also expanded Medicaid for qualified individuals. I am no Medicaid expert at all, and I barely work the healthcare exchange. It's a super rare occurrence.

Recently had a lady come to me that made huge money for the year....well over $120,000 for the year, up until this point. She is losing her job on October 31, and needs coverage for a few months. I ran her info through, and of course the exchange plans came back terribly priced with terrible benefits.

I simply input her estimated income for October/for this year, based on what she earned already and what she will make on unemployment until December 31.

She doesn't want Medicaid and it was never mentioned, but how does Medicaid work with the exchange? From what I was researching on my state's medicaid page, it possibly goes by the current month's income, in order to qualify for Medicaid, but then other sources say they take the entire year's income into account.

I just can't see someone with $120,000 in income for the year being approved for Medicaid...is this possible?? I'm in Illinois if that helps at all.

Am I able to just put down a much lower income for the few months that she will be off, for November and December? I know that will trigger the app to be sent to Medicaid, but will it be approved? Just all kinds of confused. Any urgent help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Exchange income is based on yearly income so she would pay full premium.

State medicaid is based on current monthly income in most states. Best she applies directly on state medicaid site.

If declined she can get exchange plan with SEP

Exchange income is based on yearly income so she would pay full premium.

State medicaid is based on current monthly income in most states. Best she applies directly on state medicaid site.

If declined she can get exchange plan with SEP

You're the best, my friend. Appreciate this a lot!

Back